Wifi Calling on Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by imutter, Oct 26, 2015.

1. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I seem to not be able to turn on this feature?
    I use iPhone 6s and turned on WiFi calling with AT&T
    I do not see the watch on "Allow Calls on Other devices"
    And I have no button on the "Watch" App to tune it on .

2. Hype-149

Hype-149 New Member

Hi,

I don't think you will. The watch acts more like a bluetooth headset then a say a Mac or iPad that allows calls. As long as your watch is paired and bluetooth is on, your calls will automatically come to your watch.

Wifi Calling has nothing to do with calls coming in on your watch or Other Devices. Its your carriers feature to allow calls/texts over your (or another) wifi network when Cell signal is low/poor/non-existant. I'm on Rogers and my phone will roll over to Rogers WiFi when I have low Cellular service.

Hope this helps.

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

As far as I'm aware, "Allow Calls on Other Devices" is limited to T-Mobile and Sprint… are you using one of them?

Screen Shot 2015-11-03 at 11.55.36 AM.png

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Apple states your iPhone doesn't have to be nearby… or even powered on… for this to work. That's quite neat, if you happen to be in the USA and using one of those two providers.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's a feature with AT&T. You don't have your Mac set up to ring when you get a phone call? It's been available for a while. I think I set it up about a year ago. It's not the same thing as AT&T WiFi Calling. It allows your cell phone calls to be made/received on other devices through WiFi.
    IMG_0067.jpg

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Yep, I've got that set up—ever since it first came out! I love it!

But I thought she was referring to "Wi-Fi Calling on Other Devices"—that's something different, and currently only available with Sprint and T-Mobile, although I may have misinterpreted her post.

What I'm thinking of is the newly introduced feature that lets you place an actual Wi-Fi call from your "other device" while your iPhone itself is far away or even turned off. It's mentioned here and here, and it's arguably better than what we get on AT&T, which is limited to routing cellular calls or SMS texts initiated or received on other devices through an iPhone that's on the same Wi-Fi network only.

Edit: Already on the way for AT&T customers!

#6 Rafagon, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2015