WiFi Connected But can't Find The Server!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by InTheLBC., Jan 1, 2008.

1. InTheLBC.

InTheLBC. New Member

ok, im jailbreaking my phone and im on the step where I need to use wifi to go to jailbreakme.com.
    the only problem is my wifi isn't working, it says its connected and the symbol is there but when I try to go to the website, it says it can't find the server.
    PLEASE HELP!!!!
  2. Hawk

Hawk Genius

ok go into settings and then WiFi, and then click the blue > symbol to the right of the connection. Look at your IP address. If it starts with 169.xxx.xxx.xxx, then it failed to pick up an IP address from your wireless router. Use the "Forget this Network" button and try connecting again.
    Once it says you are connected, open safari and go to a normal website. if that works, then try again.

Now here's a big obstacle that might be in your way. If you are on anything other than firmware 1.1.1, you cannot jailbreak through the www.jailbreakme.com website.
  3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. hashishoo

hashishoo New Member

iphone wifi issue

I am getting my IP starting with 169xxxx, I have tried the next step but still doesn't work.
    Pls. advise.
  5. Hawk

Hawk Genius

Can you browse to a website? Also, please remember that you are resurrecting a 7 month old dead thread.

btw - the jailbreakme.com site I believe no longer works and was only designed for firmware 1.11.
    On Friday, firmware 2.0 comes out and will have an application store access (with a reported 75%of apps will be free). You might want to wait and just update to the 2.0 firmware ( and I would wait till after people start reporting how it went for them.) and use the apps store.
  6. memphis8

memphis8 New Member

I struggled with this problem- the iphone was showing a strong wi-fi signal, but 'Can't connect to server' message.
    I have solved this by using Internet Explorer to enter my Netgear Router security settings and disable WEP (put MAC address into IE). The Iphone now logs on to wi-fi no problem.

You can also enter the iphones name and MAC address onto the authorised list and press APPLY. this will put it into the routers list of devices.

Iphone MAC address and details are obtained by going to SETTINGS-GENERAL- ABOUT. The iphone name is a derivative of the MAC address!
  7. memphis8

memphis8 New Member

sorry - it's the router IP address using Internet Explorer
    on computer and putting http// followed by router IP address (usually on bottom of router) and disable WEP (put router IP address into IE). The Iphone will log on to wi-fi no problem.

You can then enter the iphones name and MAC address onto the authorised list and press APPLY-then 'lock down'. If Iphone MAC address is say 00:A5:1CD:A1 the name is NM00a51cda1 & press APPLY. The Iphone MAC address and details are obtained by going to SETTINGS-GENERAL- ABOUT. The iphone name is a derivative of the MAC address as above - hope this helps!
  8. memphis8

memphis8 New Member

Simple solution found for iphone 'can't find server'.

It's NOT the iphone- it's the router security encryption that is the problem.

My router is a Netgear DG834G and I used the routers IP address (found at bottom of device) and put it in Internet Explorer on the Home computer http//192.168.0.1 and this takes you to the routers settings (it wil prompt you for a name and password -again these are on the back of the router.

Once in, I made a note of the KEY1 number on the wireless WEP security section and used this as the security password on my Iphone when logging into he wi-fi connection.

No problems after this and everything is fine now - best of luck!

Memphis8
  9. ramplay

ramplay New Member

quick fix for router issue

short and sweet (lets hope) Go this web site and hit get started follow the instructions and you should be set if this is a router issue. first you must go to setting on your iphone and forget this network then just follow the website instructions, worked for me after spending hours with linksys and the others involved, Leave it up to the Mac guys to find the answer!

http://opendns.com/