WiFi connection drops - trying static settings

bingoldsby

Bronze
May 25, 2011
A major annoyance is that of the iPad loosing its wireless connection to the iPhone (the phone being used as my Internet gateway). After I leave the two inactive for a period of time - perhaps 15 minutes or more - then come back for internet access, the iPad, OR THE PHONE, has dropped the WiFi connection and can only be restored by turning off WiFi on the iPad, turning off WiFi and the Personal Hotspot feature on the iPhone - then turning them all back on again. "Renewing the Lease" on the iPad only does not work, nor does any other partial sequence of the above operations.

What shows in the iPad network details is that the leased IP Address and the subnet mask are still present, but the gateway and DNS numbers are not. Meaning there's a path between the devices, but no path out to the internet.

Just before starting this thread writing, I re-established the full connection, then wrote down all the numbers. I then transferred those to the Static IP screen, and left the static ip tab highlighted. I haven't done anything else but type here since. I'm familiar with network protocols and IP addressing concepts, and realize that I'd need DHCP for any other connection... and I'm willing to make that adjustment when the time comes.

I'm hoping someone here might have some experience with this same issue and be able to make some other recommendations or comments.

Thanks!

Brian
Sent from my iPad using iCafe app

bingoldsby

Bronze
May 25, 2011
Ok... That was a bust. The connection was down again in a short while and wouldn't come back. When I turned off WiFi on the iPad, all the entries in static IP went completely away. What's the point of offering it?

In addition to the paid tethering plan which I signed on for in the beginning, I also have JB'd both the pad and phone, and have also installed MiWi on the phone. (I'm splitting the tethering between the legit and the not-so-legit methods, so as to replicate my Internet usage as it was with the Verizon wireless broadband card plan, before I got the phone. The current Verizon tethering plan only allows 2 Gb before getting nailed for another $20.)

Well... the long and short if it is that I have just discovered the MyWi OnDemand feature, which was designed with this combination of iPhone and iPad positively in mind. And it's working great. I still have to work through the other tethering issue (problem with a connection using the paid WiFi plan), but the frustration level in it all has been considerably reduced.

I'll still warmly welcome any comments in it all. Thanks again.

Brian
Sent from my iPad using iCafe app

verbalj

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
NYC
I think I'm in the same boat. I just received my iPad 2 yesterday, and I noticed that it would sometimes be offline -- even though it says it's connected to my home wifi. Toggling wifi on/off, resetting the network settings always reestablishes the connection, but obviously, that's less than ideal. When I used my phone as the mobile hotspot, the iPad never lost internet connection -- but I had the phone running as a hotspot for long. I just wanted to see if the problem lies with the iPad or the home network.

I'm currently at work and would like to see how it works with the wifi here, but I need IT to get clearance from above. They always move so slow.

I dunno what this adds to your thread lol, but you're not alone in your frustrations/puzzlement.