WiFi connection issues in Yosemite

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by silvermoon, Nov 2, 2014.

1. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I've noticed over the last week or so that my wifi will stop responding or just disconnect after staying connected for an extended period of time. In an attempt to fix the issue, I turn off the wifi and try to connect again. Same issue. So then I go to my modem, unplug it, wait about 10-15 secs, and plug it back in and the DSL phone line. This fixes it for awhile until the wifi drops. I did a bit of researching to see if other users were affected by the upgrade. I found a post on OSXDaily with a step by step guide on how to solve wifi problems. I haven't went through the steps but has anyone been experiencing any issues since moving to Yosemite?

http://osxdaily.com/2014/10/25/fix-wi-fi-problems-os-x-yosemite/

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I noticed that my Thunderbolt ethernet connect wasn't my primary connection. Apparently, the cable wasn't connected correctly. As a result, I had been using WiFi. I initially thought the site was having issues, but that was not the case. My WiFi has been dropping out pretty consistently. So, it's not just you, there are WiFi issues with Yosemite.

To be fair, I thought Mavericks WiFi was spotty too. You'd think that'd be a priority for Apple. I'm a fan of wired connections, so the $16 spent on the Thunderbolt ethernet adapter was well worth it.

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Last night, I had all sorts of WiFi issues that continued this morning. It was dropping every 5-10 minutes. My only workaround was to turn WiFi off and on. This of course is far from a functional fix. I really hope they fix this in 10.10.1.

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

What is it with Apple and WiFi?

5. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Apparently this is a big issue with Yosemite. So won't be upgrading until it's fixed. Nice going @Apple.

6. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

This coming from the same company that removed ethernet ports from their laptops. It's not as WiFi is anything important on a mobile device.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I've been using Macs since 2008 and I've never had a problem with WiFi on my computers. Bluetooth on the other hand...yeesh.

I have also had tons of problems with WiFi on my iPhones over the years.

8. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Can only go by what people are reporting. There are major issues with WiFi under Yosemite.

Lots of people reporting their systems running fine on Mavericks and as soon as they upgraded WiFi connectivity began to drop out over and over. Might want to review actual experiences here.

Apparently Apple is working on this with the 10.10.1 Beta.

I'll wait as usual. Dayum.

9. rollinfromhell

Gold

I'm running the beta, and it's a bit better. Haven't dropped out as of yet. Pictures are loading a bit better, and youtube isn't blacking out on me. Only problem is (non-related to Yosemite) is that I got bumped up to 300mbps for free from 100mbps, and mac is only getting about 200. While that's great, I would hope I can find a way to achieve to near 300mbps speeds.

10. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Oh and I saw one 10.10.1 Beta tester saying that the WiFi (for him) wan't any better .

Ruh-Roh Apple!

11. Hype-149

Hype-149 New Member

My issue is when I awake my MacBook from sleep, it takes for ever to connect to wifi. My Windows 7 Dell Laptop has no issues connects right at boot up, nor does my iPad/iPhone. With Mavericks I had no issues after awaking it.

This is getting pretty annoying having to wait a minute to two to get the device to connect.

Any ideas?

12. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Same problem here with my MBP still on Mavericks. BUT once it connects it never drops the connection. Takes only a few seconds after awakening from sleep. It's a slight annoyance but nothing like people are experiencing with Yosemite.

13. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I am having WiFi issues as well and it's maddening..

I had constant disconnect where the only solution was a reboot. I did a factory reset and that issue has gone away BUT WiFi is still a mess.

My speeds are much slower than on any other device / PC / iMac that I own. It's also intermittent at times. I open Safari and click on a bookmark = wait, wait, and wait some more for the page to load. Other times it's lighting fast..

I'm really getting tired of it.. I might roll back and wait for Apple to fix it..

14. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Thing I don't understand is why the WiFi issues are not happening to everybody.

But when a system configured however it is configured works perfectly under Mavericks and then breaks as soon as Yosemite is installed I'm not buying "blame the consumer". Apple needs to figure this out and fix it or tell the consumer how to make it work. Andthey need to do it NOW.

@raqball if I'm you I'd restore from an older Time Machine backup and move on. No way I'd upgrade to Yosemite and take my chances at this point. I haven't bought my new iMac yet and won't until this issue is fixed.

15. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

The main reason I don't want to roll back is I'd give up Handoff and Continuity with my iPhone..

My Wifi was fine before the upgrade to Yosemite..

16. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Small price to pay. I'm totally pissed this WiFi mess is an ongoing problem with Apple.

17. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I am a little surprised there has not been an OS update yet.

I also have some GUI lag issues and I am pimpin the mid 2014 rMBP.. Craziness as this thing should flat out scream!

18. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

From everything I've read about it the problem isn't easy to figure out. Some are claiming the problem doesn't happen with a clean install. Others disagree. What is pretty plain though is that something inside Yosemite breaks the WiFi process in "some" situations". What those situations are specifically is unclear and is what's puzzling. It's fairly wide spread though and needs to be fixed. Hurry up Apple or did you run out of money?

19. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

A clean install did nothing for me.. I even tried resetting PRAM.. Nadda!

I don't get constant disconnects anymore but it's painstakingly slow at times and even simple text only pages hang when trying to load at times..

20. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

I just don't subscribe to the notion that the user is at fault here. Many have tried all sorts of exotic fixes, resets and various installs to no avail. This is clearly an Apple issue that wasn't fixed prior to Yosemite being released in the wild :mad: