WiFi connection problems

lizzyc21

May 19, 2008
feeling pretty stupid and frustrated trying to set up my wifi

I have my laptop connected to my home router and have entered the same WAP passcode into my Ipod iPod touch and it keeps coming back to me with cannot find server.

When i click on the blue arrow beside my router name there is no ip address assigned etc

is there anything i need to do or that i am doing wrong?

i don't really understand the ip static,dhcp? etc etc
thanks

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
if you don't know what static, dhcp, or Bootp are, then you are most likely using DHCP.

also make sure the HTTP Proxy is "off".

lizzyc21

May 19, 2008
if you don't know what static, dhcp, or Bootp are, then you are most likely using DHCP.

also make sure the HTTP Proxy is "off".

the http is off aswell! i am at a loss! someone else told me to change my routers password? how do you do that? people have also talked about a mac code? the bottom of my router has a mac code beside where i got my wap code, should i do anything with that?

Steve-O

Bronze
May 19, 2008
Here are some tips I got through searching this and other forums. So credits go to the people who posted them:

1.) From the main screen go to Settings, and from Settings go to Wi-Fi.

2.) The Wi-Fi network you are currently connected to will have a blue check next to it, over on the left. For that same WiFi network, tap the blue circle (with ">" inside) to get to more options.

3.) Look at both the Router and DNS IP addresses. If they are the same, you might have a DNS issue, and continue on to step 4. If they are not the same you probably don't have a DNS issue, so only continue on if you have no other options.

4.) Tap inside the DNS field, and the cursor will be positioned at the end. Delete everything there. Enter the following instead:
208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220

5.) Tap Wi-Fi Networks to go back to exit that screen.

6.) Press the Menu button to go back to the main screen and try Safari again.

Other method:

1) WEP Password. If you are using WEP encryption on your network, you have two choices, WEP Password, or WEP hex or ASCII. Notice the little bar at the top that says “WEP Password” with an arrow next to it. If you are entering the Hexadecimal code for your WEP network, you need to toggle it to “WEP Hex or ASCII”.

2) WEP Hexadecimal Password part 2. Another problem I had, even with the above toggle was it still would not take my code. If you are still having this problem, preface your code with a “$” so you might enter: “$D0EBDEED2101555CF5123AEB56A” This worked for me.

3) WIFI Still Not Working?

A) Remove yourself from your Network. Go into your network and select “Forget This Network.”

B) Turn WIFI Off. From them Settings Menu for WIFI, you need to toggle the Blue On Button to the Grey Off Position.

C) Reset/Reboot your Wireless Router. Wait for your Router to fully reboot.

D) Turn WIFI back on, on your iPhone.

E) Re-Connect to your WIFI Network. Re-enter your encryption information as needed.

These seem to have worked for most people, though I still have problems connecting to my Thrustmaster Wifi key. I can connect to other people's (I know) Wifi setups just fine, so this is really frustrating. If anyone can help me out with that one. My PSP, PS3, Ds and Macbook just connect fine.

lizzyc21

May 19, 2008
thanks for all the info, i know it is not problem with the iPod touch as i managed to connect to my friends last night, all i had to do was input her security code in and it connected straight away!

it seems like the problem is with my router and security code! im at a loss for what to do with it

Aug 3, 2007
I have a 1st gen iPhone running 2.0 (for 5 days). I never had wifi issues until yesterday, but now I can't get safari to connect on wifi, but on Edge it works.

My router is working with both of my laptops.

I also can't connect to the apps store, play youtube vids, or use any of the apps that require a connection. Curiously, google maps does work.

I restarted my router, restarted my iPhone, reset my network settings, blah blah blah. Nothing seems to help. Any help would be appreciated.

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Does your phone think it is connected? Are you getting the check mark next to the network name? If so click on the blue arrow and see if you are getting an ip.

If the ip starts with 169. it is internal and you will not be able to surf.

ramplay

Jul 19, 2008
ok here is what I fixed my same problem with

short and sweet (lets hope) Go this web site and hit get started follow the instructions and you should be set if this is a router issue.

http://opendns.com/

pjbaird

Sep 24, 2007
Wireless Connection Following Upgrade to 2.0

I don't have all your problems, but I have noticed a significant degrade on my wireless reliability since the upgrade to 2.0. I don't get EDGE signal at home so I rely on wireless. Normally I have good signal throughout the house, but since upgrading I continually lose signal or get a much reduced signal strength.

I have a 1st gen iPhone running 2.0 (for 5 days). I never had wifi issues until yesterday, but now I can't get safari to connect on wifi, but on Edge it works.

My router is working with both of my laptops.

I also can't connect to the apps store, play youtube vids, or use any of the apps that require a connection. Curiously, google maps does work.

I restarted my router, restarted my iPhone, reset my network settings, blah blah blah. Nothing seems to help. Any help would be appreciated.

A

asisganguli

I have a iPhone 3G and after using Google sync wirelessly the wifi shows in grey letters No Wifi and even after restoring and wiping it clean and resetting network and everything ... it's still there. Since in India (Mumbai) the Apple office is open Mon to Fri ... I am waiting for tomorrow to come and then let's see what they say. The phone has never even slipped and fallen ... I take good care of it and I love it. Feel so low due to this. Other wise every thing is working well.

A

asisganguli

Anyone knows for sure what the problem can be ... about the "GREY NO WIFI" problem? Is synching with google app the cause ... burn out? But then any phone with Microsoft Exchange Server does it all the time. Very sad!