WiFi Dropping

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by Hawk, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

This is a new problem I have never had before, but lately since updating to 4.3.2, my WiFi keeps dropping during facetime calls. I have checked my router, (and BTW- this is not a problem using any other app, and no connection problems with my laptop either) and reset network settings and re-added the router connection again, but still have the problem.
    When it happens, the FaceTime call freezes, then I get a message that there is no wifi signal. I check, and it has disconnected from Wifi. I have to select the connection again and then it's fine, but if I am on FaceTime, it will do it all over again.

Anyone else having this problem?
    I have a feeling that I am going to have to restore my phone, but wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing this as well.

2. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

So no one else is having this problem? It happened again tonight 3 times. There was an additional 2 freeze-ups as well, but they went back to the call.
    When the wifi drops, I mean it drops. The call ends, and I go into settings under WiFi, and it's not connected. WiFi is on, the connection is listed, but not connected. I have to tap the connection to start it again. This only happens during facetime. I'm getting ready to downgrade to 4.3.1 if this keeps up.

3. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Sorry, this is the first time I've seen this thread.

I had this problem on 4.2.1, it drove me utterly insane. Upon connection to a wifi network, everything would work fine, then it would just stop working altogether. The only way to get it to work again would be by rebooting/hard reset.

You could always downgrade, but after all, thats a step in the wrong direction. Try restoring and set up as new. I know it's a pain, but it helps so much more when starting fresh.

I can't recreate the FaceTime problems as I've used it, twice I think.

4. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Yeah, I think it's going to be my afternoon project after I get back from unemployment class.. Cheers

5. canamera

canamera Zealot
    Gold

I'm sure you guys have tried it, but have you done a "reset network" in settings?

6. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Resetting Network Settings doesn't always help. It can temporarily fix the problem, but it soon came back for me.

I'm not sure if it's a hardware problem, there have been thousands of reported wifi problems.

7. canamera

canamera Zealot
    Gold

I can't really say if I've experienced it or not...I might have, but not enough to bother me I guess.

8. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Do you have bluetooth on? Wifi and BT share the same antenna and there can definitely be a conflict when they're both in use, in my experience.

9. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

canamera, yes, I've been through the whole "rigamarole" with resetting network settings, deleting and adding the connection... It doesn't help. And it only does it with Facetime, and only since 4.3.2
    Dave, that's an interesting point, but I have used my BT headset on facetime numerous times without incident, before this latest upgrade, so while I don't rule it out, I also don't think it's the problem.
    I'll be doing a restore later and see if that fixes everything.

10. psylichon

psylichon Genius

I would at least forgo BT while facetiming for a day or so as a troubleshooting step... before going whole hog with a restore.

11. canamera

canamera Zealot
    Gold

Noooooooo! Not a restore!

12. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

restoring.... <sigh>

13. Benporat

Benporat New Member

I have tried to fix this for months on end
    I knew it had to be a problem with the router
    this started after my provider changed my router to a new TP LINK
    Finally after a lot of searching, below is the solution that worked for me

http://getsatisfaction.com/Apple/topics/iPhone_3g_unbearably_slow_und_unstable_wifi

"

If you have access to your router, you can try these settings. But before you do, I strongly suggest that you backup your router configuration so that you can revert to your original settings anytime.

- iPhone is proven to work better in 802.11b, so set your router to B only, not G or B+G.
    - set beacon interval to 50 (works best for me), 100 is the default and it's fine, you can leave that unchanged.
    - set fragment threshold to 2304
    - set RTS to 2305
    - if you have access to DTIM, set it to a value of 1
    - reboot your router and close your browser (for some reason, occasionally it's a must)
    - and finally, reconnect."

14. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Thanks for the info, but I have the iPhone 4 and it's N, not B or G. My router is also N.
    I did have the phone set for a static DHCP IP address in the router, and found that after updating, my phone obtained a new IP address, even though it shouldn't have.
    I removed the static address from the router, and thought that solved the problem, but after testing the other night, it seems the problem still persists. The interesting thing is that it always seems to happen around midnight, and the problem happens for about a half hour or so.

15. dogldogl

dogldogl New Member

When my iPhone4 (4.3.4, 32GB black) gets hot during a facetime call it loses the wifi connection. Thereafter every 3-5 minutes after it's heated up facetime will again cause wifi to disconnect (even though it can be immediately re-connected).
    Even when connecting to another iPhone4 on the same (all Apple) network, my phone drops wifi.
    This happens any time of day, any network, any facetime recipient.
    I'm keen to hear if you managed to resolve your problem. I fear it's a trip to the Apple store for a replacement for me :(

16. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Well, it sounds like you definitely have a problem if it's disconnecting when it heats up and I would suggest heading to Apple and showing them the problem.
    As for my problem (which wasn't just my iPhone, but my Lenovo laptop tablet as well) it was my router. I updated the firmware and with the exceptions of a couple minor drops (the Wifi stayed up, but the connection dropped momentarily- unlike before when the router would completely lose the connection to the cable modem and a reboot was the only thing to bring it back for a short while) it's been fine ever since.

I will always suggest updating the router firmware first and foremost if it's a consistent problem and resetting network settings does not permanently solve it.

17. JWB

JWB Member
    Bronze

Anyone else have wifi dropping out on iPhone 5? Sometimes I have to "forget" network, then add password again to get wifi working.

Sent using iCafe app on iPhone 5

18. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Unfortunately this has happened to me, mostly when I am at my parents home.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4337169?start=0&tstart=0

This discussion relates to your issue and may help. From the discussion, have you tried to reset your network settings from your iPhone via the settings app - general - reset?

Sent using iCafe app

19. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I don't know if this will help with your problem but several months ago I had to replace my WiFi router. When I set it up I used the same WPA-PSK [TKIP] security that I had used with the old router. I immediately began having problems with my iPhone5 and my Wife's 4s connecting, reconnecting or staying connected to my home network. I tried a number of things but the last thing I tried is what worked, I changed the security to WPA2-PSK [AES] and have had no more problems since. Having said that, my son's WiFi network used the same WPA-PSK [TKIP] security settings that I had used on my old router and my phone and my Wife's phone have no problem connecting to his network at all. His router and my old one were Linksys and my new one is a Netgear.

20. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

This has been discussed at length in other threads.

But, yes it's happening to me. I tried all the suggestions, all to ok avail. I've reported it to Apple hoping it will be fixed in a future update. It's really starting to bug the crap out if me.