WiFi drops at office, connects at home

Durango

Jan 24, 2008
St. Louis, Missouri
I have up to date iPhone software, no extras. WiFi works at home. I'm "connected" at the office when I restart the iPhone here and see the 3 curved bars next to the satelite web signal. My WiFi shows I'm connected, but when I launch iTunes, as soon as iTunes takes the screen, I get an error message that I need a WiFi connection. When I close that window, the WiFi bars have disappeared from my home screen. When I check settings, it shows I'm connected. When I check further, there is a message underneath the WiFi settings that says "Renew Lease." I don't know what this means, and it's not in the iPhone user guide.

We don't have any particular encryption schemes on the WiFi router, as far as I can tell, and rebooting the router and the phone don't solve the problem.

Dec 10, 2007
blacked out
It might be that you don't have enough wifi bars? Just a guess. Find the wireless router in the office and get as close to it as you can. See if that changes anything.

Durango

Jan 24, 2008
St. Louis, Missouri
There are enough bars

It might be that you don't have enough wifi bars? Just a guess. Find the wireless router in the office and get as close to it as you can. See if that changes anything.
Do you know if the IP and Subnet readings I see in the iPhone for this router are being sent from the router? When I go into a screen to Admin the router I see that it is set to "specific" IP and Subnet values, but they are NOT the values I'm seeing in the iPhone. The wireless router is connected to a LAN, which provides our T-1 internet access. So this is not an issue where the wireless router has a direct link to a cable modem.

Durango

Jan 24, 2008
St. Louis, Missouri
Well, it sounds like your getting an IP from the router. When you do, what are the first three numbers of the IP?
First number is 192. Today I took my laptop in and it wouldn't connect, either. Problem was a WEP password that wasn't what we had written down, so I went into the wireless router via web interface and changed the security to WPA (?) with an ascii password, and both devices connected perfectly.

Thanks for helping me!