WiFi , G3 Question

Aug 22, 2007
DFW, TEXAS
I know im going to get killed for asking this... Which is faster, G3 or wifi from my home wifi network? are they not the same speed for accessing the internet? At work im on the edge network, but when i get home im on the wifi. the wifi is way way faster than the edge.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
3G is faster, but the question is how much? It is faster, but each person will have to decide if it is worth the cost. Now the other side of the coin is that 3G is everywhere (if it is in your city) where as wifi isn't. Also you can receive calls while using 3g say by being on the internet where as on edge you can't.
But your question was in relation to your home network. If that is your only concern, wifi should be plenty fast. At least it is for me.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
no, in general wifi should still be faster than 3G. On the low side a wifi connection is about 1,000 kbps, and potentially up to 10,000 kbps (10 Mbps), but 3g could range from 600 kbps up to 1,200 kbps.

it will just depend on which wifi network you're talking about and the signal strength of your 3g signal.

theevilone

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
my home wifi is a lot faster than 3g. will be happy when they dump edge you can die of old age before it downloads a page.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
It kinda depends on what your home wifi is connected to. I still have my original Airport Graphite I used to wifi my dial-up. :cool: