WiFi Help!

steviep831

Bronze
Jan 15, 2008
What you have to do is:

1. Go into the settings... (you have to be within the wifi's range to do this)
2. Then tap Wi-Fi...
3. Select the right arrow for the wi-fi connection you want to edit.
4. Tap into the router field...
5. And enter the IP address for your router.

I've had to do this to a couple of connections too. I think the iPhone tries to default the router address to 192.168.1.1 or .0; so if you've changed the address (as is often the case in a home where internet enters the house into a modem/router from the ISP provider... the wireless router you set up will have a different address than the default.
That should take care of it... let us know if that works.

MNJON

Bronze
Nov 21, 2007
Minnesota
Another idea... today I installed Linksys wifi and the only way I got it to work with security was to use WEP settings..

Oct 4, 2007
cali
thanks stevie, i finally got it to work, idk why i didn't think of that, i just completely forgot about having to do that with my bros phone. and thanks everyone else for the suggestions! just didn't wanna have to go through a full restore cause it takes forever.

steviep831

Bronze
Jan 15, 2008
Hehe... no problem. Glad to be of help. When I first got the phone I had the same problem... until I finally figured it out...

Aug 16, 2008
The Problem is that the wifi atenna is broken in the iPod Touch/iPhone so you either dropped it or its just a manufacturing problem either way call Apple and if you have a Apple store near you, you can exchange it but if your not so lucky like me you'll have to call and get it sent it. They'll send you a box and you'll send it to them to either get it fixed or give you a new one. You'll have it in about a week hope this helps.

Kevin77

Nov 17, 2007
What makes you think the wi-fi antenna was broken? I don't think it had anything to do with the antenna. It had everything to do with a faulty part on the circuit board inside the iPod Touch. This was a brand new iPod, and it was absolutely never dropped. Many of these were faulty, and lots of people returned them to Apple. I got a replacement iPod Touch. It was a brand new serial number. I was glad that they replaced it as I didn't trust the iPods that were made the week my first one was made.

If it was a broken antenna, the software would not gray out the wi-fi settings completely like that. How would the iPod know the difference between a broken antenna, and a wi-fi connection that would be miles outside of the iPod's range? When I go to areas of the city where there is no wi-fi service, my wi-fi setting does not gray itself out - it just shows up as no available wi-fi connection. This was clearly something else.

Pete

Jan 14, 2009
Hi Guys, my iPhone 3G had perfect wifi reception for the first 4 month i have owned it. Yesterday it stopped picking up any wifi networks at all?
I tried many things suggested, but nothing helped. I saw one guy had put his phone in the fridge, so i thought why not. After about 20 mins, i took it out and it instantaneously connected to wifi, this lasted about 10 mins. I can put it in the fridge and it will connect every time, but once the phone has got back to room temp the connection disappears again?
Any ideas if this can be fixed...i'm in China so no chance of exchanging the unit.
Cheers Pete,

Mar 21, 2008
Hi Guys, my iPhone 3G had perfect wifi reception for the first 4 month i have owned it. Yesterday it stopped picking up any wifi networks at all?
I tried many things suggested, but nothing helped. I saw one guy had put his phone in the fridge, so i thought why not. After about 20 mins, i took it out and it instantaneously connected to wifi, this lasted about 10 mins. I can put it in the fridge and it will connect every time, but once the phone has got back to room temp the connection disappears again?
Any ideas if this can be fixed...i'm in China so no chance of exchanging the unit.
Cheers Pete,
i'm having this SAME exact problem.. problem didn't start until i started beta testing 3.0! i also read a post about the fridge solution and it did help for about 3 minutes, but after that.. NOTHING!

ANYONE with any solutions on this problem, please help!

(added note, my phone has NEVER been dropped, so it's not an issue like that... i'm THINKING it's more to do with the beta testing, BUT, the only problem with that thought is, it doesn't seem to be affecting any other beta testers, or there would be threads left and right about it)!

<3MyiPhone

Bronze
Sep 8, 2007
Misplaced Southern Californian
My husband's phone had the same issue, called Applecare and after going through all the steps to try to get it to work again, the conclusion was that it was a hardware problem. We ended up sending the iPhone in for repair and a refurbished one was sent to us in exchange.

brenan.m

Bronze
Jan 7, 2010
missouri
I downloaded blackra1n for my phone and now don't have wifi. Is that normal?

brenan.m

Bronze
Jan 7, 2010
missouri
Alright. Will I have to reboot my phone when I do that?

brenan.m

Bronze
Jan 7, 2010
missouri
What would the difference between your and mine? I'm just curious my laptop is at home so I'm kinda scarred to do it if I have to reset since I have the tethered jb

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
What would the difference between your and mine? I'm just curious my laptop is at home so I'm kinda scarred to do it if I have to reset since I have the tethered jb
Hmmm, tethered, eh? I'm not sure if resetting your network will kill your j/b tethering. I suppose you can try it and if it does you can just re-jailbreak when you get home.

brenan.m

Bronze
Jan 7, 2010
missouri
Well I'm not sure if it would make me reboot the phone or not. I ain't too worried about it making me redo my jb. I just don't wanna be stuck without a phone the rest of the night. I don't have my back up eg with me or I wouldn't be worried about it.

manoman

Dec 2, 2009
once you press it it will automatically restart the phone by itself