WiFi hindered with case?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by Badfishy, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Badfishy

Badfishy Contributor
    Bronze

I just got a case for my iPhone 5 and am noticing a deterioration in the speed and reception of my wifi signal with the case on. It's an Oakley brand case made with soft and hard rubber and plastics. There is no metal on the case so I wonder why the problem. I lose a bar in reception and speed drops in half while the case is on. I couldn't find any other mentions of this problem here, so am I alone? Is it possible it's the material of my case?

http://www.oakley.com/products/cylinder-block-case-for-iphone-reg-5/99210-001

2. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Cases are known to interfere with some signals, usually metal cases, but I suppose is possible.

Sent using iCafe app

3. Badfishy

Badfishy Contributor
    Bronze

Is it possible certain materials can interfere with wifi reception, like different composites of rubber/plastic ?

4. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I have an Otterbox Defender on my 5 and in a weak signal area (only 1 bar of WiFi showing) I was unable to duplicate the problem so if it is the case that's creating your problem, it is probably something about that particular model. Is it black in color, if so did the manufacturer use carbon black to color the rubber or plastic parts of the case? I'm just guessing as I have no real idea what could be causing the problem. If you can duplicate the problem at will, maybe call the manufacturer and see what they have to say.

5. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

What iOS are you running? 6.0.1 supposedly had wifi issues and 6.0.2 supposedly corrected them. I had no issues with 0.1 but now have wifi issues with 0.2. I hope 6.1 corrects them again. I'm sick of my wifi dropping out and going to 4G as it's eating my battery.