WiFi Interference?

HomerJS

May 6, 2008
Below is a post I made on the Apple Support forums, which garnered no response whatsoever. Anyone here have any idea?

I was experiencing a lot of problems with Bluetooth over my car handsfree unit (a JCI Blueconnect) and my Bluetooth headset (a Blueant z9), with the iPhone locking up and freezing about 50% of the time when it connected or disconnected to either unit. I did a few internet searches and found some posts claiming there was some interference between the iPhone WiFi and Bluetooth. I always left my WiFi on for convenience, but tried tunring it off in Settings to see what would happen.

Not only did it completely solve the Bluetooth problem (I now get 100% functionality with no freezes, on both units), but it also, somehow, made my phone work better - before, with WiFi on, I had great difficulty making and receiving calls from my office location (on the 28th floor of a glass-n-steel high rise building), but now, with WiFi off, I can make and receive phone calls from the exact same location with no problem at all.

My question - Is anyone familiar with this issue? I did a search but didn't find any posts on this forum that seemed relevant. Is Apple aware of this issue? If it exists, and is not in my mind, it seems pretty significant because having to turn WiFi on and off manually is a major pain. Could something like this be fixed via firmware, or would it be a non-fixable side-effect of the Bluetooth and WiFi hardware?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Wow, I've not yet seen this type of problem. Which firmware are you running? Are you Jailbroken or Unlocked? How old is the Bluetooth headset? It seems like a rare problem for sure. Have you tried a restore back to factory settings?

HomerJS

May 6, 2008
Wow, I've not yet seen this type of problem. Which firmware are you running? Are you Jailbroken or Unlocked? How old is the Bluetooth headset? It seems like a rare problem for sure. Have you tried a restore back to factory settings?
I'm running 1.1.4, not jailbroken or unlocked, no third party apps, just factory standard. The headset is a Blueant z9, which I got two months ago and which is a pretty recent unit - It's Bluetooth 2.0 compatible.

I've done a restore and it made no difference. This may seem like an odd problem, but I was only led to post because a Google search showed some postings on other iphone-related sites detailing the same problem - some kind of frequency interference between WiFi and Bluetooth. What really surprised me was the noticeable increase in my phone signal strength when WiFi was disabled. Perhaps this makes sense where the WiFi draws power from the phone and disabling it allows for more power or battery strength to be diverted to the phone's radio? Don't know, but I do know that I can now make and receive calls in places I couldn't before (in my office, inside a lot of windowless "big box" retailers that always seemed to kill my signal strength).

Perhaps I have a defective phone? This one is an AppleCare replacement.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
It's very possible that your phone is a dud. If you're near an Apple store I would recommend going there and talking to a Genius and explain to them your issues. They might replace the phone on the spot.