WiFi interference

coyne740

Sep 3, 2008
Has anyone noticed other wifi signals dropping when using your iPhone 3g in wireless mode near them? For instance, if I have my iPhone's wireless on, and I am using my laptop, the laptop gets NO signal at all. The iPhone is jailbroken, but not unlocked and on the current 202 firmware... thought it could be openssh, but I disabled that and it still happened until I disabled wifi. Any ideas?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
is this everywhere, or on one specific network?

i think ATT 3G operates on the 1900 MHz frequency (1.9 GHz)... most wireless G routers operate around 2.4 GHz (depending on the channel selected), so i guess it's possible it's interfering with it... you could try changing wifi channels on your router to something further away from 1.9 GHz.

coyne740

Sep 3, 2008
it's happened at home and at an office that I was visiting. I changed my home broadcast channel to 11, and it still cuts out frequently. My router could be done as well, but I doubt it... I am going to pick up a new one tomorrow and see what happens.

And I do not have 3g on at home, 3g is not available in my area yet... so it's just EDGE for me

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
oh, wow... that is pretty bizarre. let us know how it goes.

Lips fan, btw?

Aug 4, 2011
So im going to throw this one out there - has anyone ever had issues where the headphone jack is interfering with the wifi signal? I just re-assembled a phone, and couldnt get wifi unless i was standing next to the router. When i took it apart again and started troubleshooting, i discovered full wifi signals as normal when i unplug the connector under the headphone jack.

Any ideas?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
That's going to be a tough one for anyone to answer since 90% of the members here don't disassemble their phones.
But to me, it sounds like you have something else bridging the Wifi antenna to it.