WiFi ip

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

pierce the veil

Bronze
Aug 14, 2007
i have been able to get my iPhone connected to my computer via wifi, but when i go to it on my iPhone it doesn't show the ip so i can use Winscp. what could i do to fix this?

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
how is the iPhone connecting? directly to the computer or through your access point/router?

sounds like it's not getting an address...

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
You might want to try assigning an address. afaik, your wifi usb stick isn't going to hand out an IP address by itself so you want to put both devices on the same "network".

In Windows, go into network connections and right click on your wi-fi stick and select properties. Scroll down until you get to tcp/ip and select that and click the properties button to get into the tcp/ip properties.

Select "Use the following IP address" and give your computer an IP... try 10.1.1.1 for starters. Subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0. You can skip the default gateway field and DNS server addresses.

On the iPhone... when you connect to your computer's usb stick, click on the static tab (it's probably on dhcp by default) and give it an address of 10.1.1.2, make the subnet mask the same as above and save your changes.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
You might want to try assigning an address. afaik, your wifi usb stick isn't going to hand out an IP address by itself so you want to put both devices on the same "network".

In Windows, go into network connections and right click on your wi-fi stick and select properties. Scroll down until you get to tcp/ip and select that and click the properties button to get into the tcp/ip properties.

Select "Use the following IP address" and give your computer an IP... try 10.1.1.1 for starters. Subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0. You can skip the default gateway field and DNS server addresses.

On the iPhone... when you connect to your computer's usb stick, click on the static tab (it's probably on dhcp by default) and give it an address of 10.1.1.2, make the subnet mask the same as above and save your changes.
That might not help, at least on a Windows PC. For starters, you need some way of sharing the the PC's Internet connection with the WiFi device. You can't just install a USB WiFi adapter and have it magically work for sharing the Internet--no matter how you configure IP addresses.

If the OP is using Windows he will need to use ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on the WiFi adapter.

On a Mac I believe you need to go into Sharing and make sure Internet sharing is on (for WiFi).

--
Mike

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
PC. For starters, you need some way of sharing the the PC's Internet connection with the WiFi device.
the OP wasn't trying to get Internet access... he just wants WinSCP to work (so presumably he can install mods on the phone). Tackle that first eh?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
the OP wasn't trying to get Internet access... he just wants WinSCP to work (so presumably he can install mods on the phone). Tackle that first eh?
True enough! You can still get the IP problem fixed and 'Net access in one shot though (ICS and 'Net sharing on a Mac are pretty easy).

But if WinSCP is the only thing going to be used it doesn't matter.

--
Mike