WiFi issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Riia, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Riia

Riia New Member

So I got an iPod touch recently for my birthday and have been having a few issues with the WIFI
    I connect just fine at school
    But at home for some reason it wont let me connect at all
    I do have a wireless router, it's a actiontec gt701-wg
    I've connected fine with my Nintendo DS.. with the wep key
    But when I enter it on my iPod it just tells me after a long time trying to connect that it cannot connect... and I'm positive it's the correct wep key
    I've also enabled my router to accept MAC addresses... do I need the specific one for my iPod and if so where do I find it?

any help will be appreciated~ thank you

2. meiphones_brill

meiphones_brill New Member
    Silver

That'll be it then.

Go to Settings -> General -> About

Your WiFi MAC address is in there I think. (it is on an iPhone at least)

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. aghaik

aghaik New Member

Hi everyone...I hope you are doing OK and in case you have some time to read my situation and try to help me, I would really appreciate it. I've done some research on the web and other forums but can't find a solution that works.

So, I got an iPhone from Ebay, GSM, in flawless condition and got it jailbroken and unlocked with Iliberty. It works great except that it won't connect to my Home Network.

Believe me, I've tried many things...updating firmware to my router, restoring the iPhone, resetting the network settings, typing the IP address manually and nothing...

The iPhone talks to the router but the router won't let it access the Internet because it assigns it a 169.XXXXXX number...which I've read is like a standby IP. I enter manually an IP address, the DNS and the subnet mask and still nothing.

My router is a Linksys BEFW11S4 version 2 and I have updated its firmware. My iPhone is running on 1.1.4.

If you could help me out with any ideas, I would appreciate it. I'll try going to another network to see if it is the Wifi or my home network causing the problem as well. Thanks

5. 420greg

420greg New Member
    Silver

Do you have a password on your wifi? If you do try to connect with security on the router disabled. If that works the problem is with the password. The iPhone hates stuff like this &^(*$%%^#)( in passwords.

6. tokkilee

tokkilee New Member

A few nights ago I was playing with my phone and all of a sudden I realized that my volume was coming out about 1/3 of the loudness it normally does. This does this in everything: the speakerphone, the ringing, AND music and videos...my speakers were working just fine until then and were plenty loud. I have an appt with the Apple store today, but I wanted to see if anyone knew any solutions. I've installed the new update, and yes, my volume is up all the way.

7. BLIK

BLIK New Member
    Bronze

Just a suggestion did you try re-booting the phone? hold the sleep button and home button down at same time?

also did you check under settings > sounds and make sure it is turned up there also.

Just trying to help

8. tokkilee

tokkilee New Member

Yes I've done all that, and I even did a complete restore.

9. morth58

morth58 Member
    Bronze

some of the old v1 phones would get stuck between normal volume and headphone volume. yes even if you haven't used your headphones recently. turn our phone off ( i know this part seems stupid ) and plug annd unplug your headphones about ten times. this worked for me. I thought this was fixed with updates. but if its a problem with the hardware this just might work.

10. tokkilee

tokkilee New Member

i tried it...im just hoping they'll switch me with a new phone...i somehow already have a scratch on the screen also...don't know how, i haven't dropped it or anything...had the first gen iPhone for a year with no scratches...had the 3g as soon as it came out..less than a month and already its screwed up...my ear mic is also staticy when im talking to someone...but that doesn't bother me so much since im never talking on the phone anyways...this phone has had way more problems than my first gen

11. jarofclay73

jarofclay73 Zealot
    Gold

This makes sense if the iPhone still thinks the headphone is in. Whatever that recognizes that the headphone is still in could be "stuck."

12. tokkilee

tokkilee New Member

well the volume is still working..its just about 1/3 of what it was...i literally can barely hear the phone ring when its in my pocket..and listening to music outloud? forget it lol. i have it next to my head at night and i can barely hear it.

13. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Try a general settings reset. This will do things even a restore will not.

14. tokkilee

tokkilee New Member

How do you do that? I've never heard of that before.

15. tokkilee

tokkilee New Member

tried it and it didn't work ><;

16. tc2000chartreader

Bronze

For the past 2 days I have had an issue with my wifi. It shows as available and connected, but when I go to a program that tries to use it, I get server timeouts or hangs, if the program does not bump automatically to 3G. What I mean to say is, if the application sees WiFi and the app has not been written to bump from WiFi to 3G if the wifi is not working, then it times out, which happens for almost everything.

I have a 32G, 3Gs with 21.77G free. I have done a reboot using the power and home button. I may have to try a restore next, but wanted to see if anyone else has any other advice first.

Thanks.

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Try resetting all network settings first.

18. tc2000chartreader

Bronze

Thanks for the advice Europa, but unfortunately that did not work. I have having this trouble on all wifi spots as well, my network at home, my work network, and even a couple of spots along the way to work I tried.

Any other suggestions?
    Thanks.

19. justinxtreme

justinxtreme New Member
    Bronze

Hello guys, I may be able to get the "No WiFi" issues people have been experiencing lately.

Cause of "No WiFi" issues
    If your like me you probably weren't in the iPhone scene until like OS 2.0 or OS 3.0... Well for those who bought an iPhone back in 2007 when it came out for freaking $599 well you may know about this. Anyways back in 2007 unlocking tools started appearing and well a lot of them like ZiPhone corrupted the baseband sometimes and you had to reinstall it. Well that problem as come up again except instead of this problem coming up from a hack it comes from a official firmware release from Apple. Problem is iPhone 3G and 3GS users have a more secure bootloader except for the lucky ones who bought the iPhone 3G the first few months it came out (Until September 2008*. If you are ones of those lucky ones just read the * later on this post.

Possible fixes
    Well you can reinstall or update the baseband. I'm going to refer to iPhone 3G's and 3GS with 5.09 and higher bootloaders on this part of the article. Anyways you can try using iRecovery and override the WiFi Mac Address settings so when the iPhone baseband checks for it, it will find it. I tried it but didn't work for me but you guys can still try it and also these steps confirm if your "No WiFi" problem is a software problem (most probably is a software problem) or hardware problem

1.Setup iRecovery for use (You'll need Microsoft C++ Visual Redistributable)
    2.Put your iPhone into Recovery Mode (Hold Home Button before it boots up and keep holding it until it goes into Recovery Mode)
    3. Run iRecovery (navigate to where it's located using cd through Command Prompt then run it using the command "irecovery -s")
    4.Check whether or not it's a software or hardware problem and get the Mac Address of your WiFi hardware (Run the command in iRecovery "radio readnvram" and check if it has A Mac Address for your WiFi hardware if it does it's a software problem and write down that Mac Address if it doesn't or has x's or something then sorry but it's a hardware problem)
    5. Type in saveenv wifiaddr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx (Where xx:xx:xx:x:xx is is where you put your WiFi Mac address
    6. Type in printenv wifiaddr
    7. Type in fsboot
    8. Type in reset
    9. Exit out of iRecovery using /exit
    10 Close Command Prompt
    11. Check if it fixed it

Another fix is through forcing a baseband install and well I don't know much about it yet. But you will need bbupdater and use iPhoneBrowser to place it into I think /bin but I'm not sure I'll update my information once I research it (It's 3AM so yeah). I'll research more about this and this also involves getting a baseband of the same version your using you can't downgrade your baseband through this if your thinking about that (Well you wouldn't be right now but later on when Apple does release a new baseband update and it blocks blacksn0w then yeah)

A definite fix is if Apple releases a baseband update then you should update to it, it will fix it. As it updates the baseband meaning it will also install a newer version otherwise reinstalling. If your on 04.xx.xx baseband then update now to 05.11.07 (currently as of November 2009) and fix your WiFi problems

* If you have a iPhone 3G you bought the first few months it came out then it probably has the 5.08 Bootloader (Bootloader versions can't be changed on the iPhone 3G and 3GS). You can use Fuzzyband to downgrade (meaning it will also reinstall) the baseband. I will post the Fuzzyband deb file for people to use. Jailbreak your iPhone (using a custom firmware not blackra1n since you don't have WiFi) and then use iPhoneBrowser to put the files on to /var/root/Cydia/AutoInstall. Then restart your iPhone and it will install Fuzzyband then afterwards use it to downgrade your baseband.

20. justinxtreme

justinxtreme New Member
    Bronze

Oh by the way,
    You can't use Swifi I tried it. It won't work with the new iPhone 3Gs and 3GSs but if you have a iPhone 3G with 5.08 bootloader it might work on yours.

How I made Swifi to work and launch
    -I downloaded Swifi off their website and put it into /bin using iPhoneBrowser
    -Install MobileTerminal through iPhoneBrowser
    -Install BootNueter using iPhoneBrowser
    -Run BootNueter and after like a minute quit it
    -Run Mobile terminal and get administrative privileges by typing su then my password (default password is alpine)
    -Then navigate to where Swifi is located (which is at /bin so I type in cd /bin)
    -Then type in Swifi
    -It will stop at the Musclenerd line and not go any further.

Yeah so Swifi won't work with the new iPhoen 3Gs and iPhone 3GS

21. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

From what I know, only bootloaders 5.8 and lower can be downgraded. This can be done with Fuzzyband from Cydia. Interesting article, though.