WiFi Logs Out After Three Minutes

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
after initial login @ Starbucks, I keep getting logged out after inactivity of about 3 minutes...

I don't think it's the settings on IPad mini because it doesn't happen on my wifi at home or at another local Starbucks like coffee house chain in Buffalo/Niagara Falls NY area..

it's at every Starbucks, I'm wondering if its a Starbucks or A T & T issue?

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
after initial login @ Starbucks, I keep getting logged out after inactivity of about 3 minutes...

I don't think it's the settings on IPad mini because it doesn't happen on my wifi at home or at another local Starbucks like coffee house chain in Buffalo/Niagara Falls NY area..

it's at every Starbucks, I'm wondering if its a Starbucks or A T & T issue?
I would imagine that Starbucks has an inactivity timer on their wifi. Lets. More customers access it by not keeping inactive sessions logged in.

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
The same thing happens at several of the Starbucks near me. I'm pretty sure roofmonkey has it right since this happens to me only at Starbucks.

Sent using my iPhone 5

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
This is very common to systems where the login control (in this case, the Starbucks web dialog) is separate from the Wi-Fi device.

In your home and smaller coffee shops the Wi-Fi login is direct to the access point. In this scenario then, you can still have an even quicker timeout as re-establishing the connection will no longer require a login as it is now automated.

At Starbucks and like systems, that automation is prohibited.

My local airport and rail Wi-Fi does the same thing but hotels that often use a similar setup appear to be cacheing the MAC address to avoid the nuisance factor over the prolonged and returning access of their customers. This would also make sense since you're paying for the hotel access whether you see it itemized in the bill or not.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Last edited: