WiFi Newbie Needs Help!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Calliope

Aug 17, 2007
How does one get passwords for Wifi networks (example: Netgear)that seem to be available as per the iPhone notification? I do not have a wireless router at home - so my question is really only about joining other networks that the iPhone picks up.

FYI - AT&T is my internet and phone provider.

Thanks...

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
How does one get passwords for Wifi networks (example: Netgear)that seem to be available as per the iPhone notification? I do not have a wireless router at home - so my question is really only about joining other networks that the iPhone picks up.
You won't be able to join password-protected networks unless you already have the password. You should have no problem connecting to the other networks that are not protected.

Calliope

Aug 17, 2007
Thanks... and info for AT&T wifi users

Thanks, Joe for the info. I am getting a better understanding of Wifi now. For all you AT&T users - below is a link on the AT&T site that helps you find "hotspots" in your area. There are basic hotspots (for example, many McDonald's resturuants) which are free - I believe at those, your phone will automatically log you into the network. Then there are premier hotspots (such as some Barnes and Noble's) where you pay a small fee for usage (varies with location). I haven't tried to log onto a premier hotspot yet, so I don't know all the details. Then I think there are hotspots for other wireless networks (such as Verizon, and T-Mobile and at places such as Starbucks.) I think you have to have a plan with these providers to get on the network at their hotspots.

The bottom line is that Wifi is sparcely available for now... Anyway, for AT&T customers - here is the link to the site where you can search for your local "hotspots":
http://www.att.com/gen/general?pid=5949

Aug 30, 2007
Note that some of the public wifi sites connect you to a server first where you agree to terms of use before it allows general access. I have seen this at airports for sure. Also some places allow you to buy time on a wifi server.