WiFi Nightmare

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Klj803, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Klj803

Klj803 New Member

I have access to a Linskys router (unsecured ) yet can't join the network. What gives?

2. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Is this your router? Could be too many devices attached to it, try power cycling the router and see if you can join the network then.

3. FlwrPwer

FlwrPwer Evangelist
    Gold

What device do you have? This sometimes happens on my iPhone 4. Try hitting forget network. Or you can hit "another network" and manual type in the name of the network. That will sometimes work too.

4. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Unplug your wireless router and cable box for 10 seconds. Plug it back in and try again.

5. Vonwachtstain

Vonwachtstain Member
    Bronze

Owner might have access control turned on. Only specified devices will be allowed to join.

6. Klj803

Klj803 New Member

Are there any cydia apps that allow " FREE WIFI"?

7. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

No, it's up to the owner of the router to decide whether to secure it, charge money for access, or leave it open and free, because they are liable for the actions of anyone using their internet connection. There is nothing you can do to magically make it free, or create free wifi out of thin air. You have to be near a hotspot that is designated specifically to be open and free.

You might find one at McDonald's or Starbucks, among other places, which of course will usually expect you to buy something while you're there. There are several apps in the app store that will help you find free wifi hotspots too.

Something you should be aware of when using unsecured wifi: passwords and other sensitive information that you transmit go over unencrypted signals that anyone else using that router can see with the right tools. So, I would think twice about using a router that has no password.

8. applejailescape

Gold

Have you reseted the iPhones network settings

9. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

I have run into a few networks like that. Usually in stores or hotels. Access control probably the issue.