WIFI Nightmares

wbjunkie

Feb 17, 2008
version 1.1.2
seral number 85750...WH8
model MA712LL
modem firmware 04.02.13_G
Jailbreak

Have spent the last 12 hours trying to get my wifi to work.
My router has no security its open.
My laptop is able to connect without any issues.

But my iPhone will not connect.

This is one over hyped product. There are tons of bugs and irritating little issues.

Should have stuck to my Nokia.

Have read every post made on the iPhone and wifi nothing. Maybe with this firmware there are some special issues.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Can you connect to any one else's wifi? If so, the problem is with your router somehow. If not, perhaps you have a bad wifi antenna and should take it back for exchange?

Doby45

Silver
Aug 21, 2007
Powder Springs, GA
This is one over hyped product. There are tons of bugs and irritating little issues.

Does not sound like you really even want a solution. Evidently after reading every post ever made about the iPhone and not finding any known annoying wifi issue, you would make the educated discovery that maybe it is just your phone that is defective. Or maybe you should just stick with your Nokia.

trant01

Jul 14, 2007
well if it helps i had the same problem. took it to the Apple store and got a new phone in 2 mins.

wbjunkie

Feb 17, 2008
Got it sorted the same day should have updated this post.
I have to say it the wifi support is going to see a lot of bug fixes lol.

Anyway to help others who are having this problem. Here are some tips that may help.

1. If the little icon that shows the signal strength is not all the way up there it will not connect for the first time. Once connected though reconnects will happen on a weaker signal. To give you an example. My X device will connect in a 3 building radius. This thing needs to be meters from the router at least for the first connect. The wifi chip is pretty good. Its the antenna thats small. Helps to hold the phone without covering the little black plastic cover. If your trying to access somebody else's router lol.(Stumbler will pick up the router from quite a distance but actually connecting is a different issue.)

2. Basically what I did was take a ride down the road. Every house or building here has 5-6 wifi routers. Most running wep (ready easy to crack). So I just kept trying with different routers till it worked.
3. Now the kicker.
I came home and it started working on my router. Had half a mind to set up a soft router and do some packet grabs to see what exactlly is going on but thought better of it.

4. After this we ran into another problem where edge would not save its settings i.e. you connect. It says connected you come out of the settings screen and go to mail or the browser and it drops the wifi and goes to edge.
This was tracked down to two issues one was code related where edge settings are not saved and a patch is available on install app and the other problem is related to your carrier. They have a setting at their end which forces the phone to try and use their edge connection. Most offer free edge till their shop. Then when you click download this news item or ring tone you get billed. I had to pull a few strings to have this taken off my profile at their end. Now airtell allows you to sms EDGE CANCL to 222 and in 24 hours they will mod your profile.
Can you say agro lol.
But we sorted it out real fast.

Since then no wifi issues.

There are other tips and tricks that have been well documented which didn't help me but give it a shot
i.e. Airplane mode on/off, forget this network, and the ascii or hex issue which got a bug fix. If you are using a password stick to the 5 char format. Or better still turn off security i.e. leave the route open. Establish a connection. Then turn security back on and re-connect this has worked for a lot of mates who called up asking for a few tips on getting their wifi to work.

If your thinking of buying a router better take your phone along and chk that this thing works with it. Cause at best you have a 50-50 chance of it working at least in my country. Its like their blue tooth. Almost there. i.e. it hooks up to the various blue tooth head sets Ive tried. Will exchange passwords and all that but wont actually work lol

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Mine connected just fine the first time. All I had to do was enter my wep passkey.

Glad you got it sorted out.

stmcelroy

Feb 21, 2008
I had some issues, but they mostly were because I forgot my WEP password. I've been able to connect to unsecure networks since day one and now after resetting my home password have not had any issues.

This is seriously the best phone/mini computer that i've ever owned. Spending time on the internet was my #1 criteria for a new phone, and i have to say that the iPhone with Safari has really done an awesome job.

steviep831

Bronze
Jan 15, 2008
Wifi issues have been clearly documented on this website, and most have been user ignorance about how networks work. I agree with Doby45, do a better search next time.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Wifi issues have been clearly documented on this website, and most have been user ignorance about how networks work. I agree with Doby45, do a better search next time.
I agree. I've been reading EiC since the iPhone was introduced by El Jobso last January and most of the time when someone is posted about wifi troubles it usually comes down to some weird wireless router configuration. Actually, I can't remember too many instances where it was actually the phone's fault.

clark9825

Bronze
Feb 24, 2008
version 1.1.2
seral number 85750...WH8
model MA712LL
Jailbreak

Have read every post made on the iPhone and wifi nothing. Maybe with this firmware there are some special issues.

Could it be your using a jailbroken phone? You are bound to have a ton of bugs with hacked software. I have a non jailbroken iPhone and never had any issues. It is hard to evaluate a product when you have hacked it. There are a ton of posts of people having trouble with their iPhone for one reason or another and the one thing they have in common is they are all jailbroken.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Could it be your using a jailbroken phone? You are bound to have a ton of bugs with hacked software. I have a non jailbroken iPhone and never had any issues. It is hard to evaluate a product when you have hacked it. There are a ton of posts of people having trouble with their iPhone for one reason or another and the one thing they have in common is they are all jailbroken.
a lot of people use jailbroken phones everyday without any problems, but I agree that it's hard to complain about the phone after you've hacked the software.

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
version 1.1.2
seral number 85750...WH8
model MA712LL
Jailbreak

man that must have sucked....i had wifi for an entire year before i figured out the password for it LOL. and this was about 3 months after i got the iPhone. i felt so stupid when someone told me it should be on the bottom of the router

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
is there a way to check my router settings; d-link524
Sure there is. Go to the D-Link web site and see what you have to type into your address window to access the administrator screen. Then you should be able to get the WEP key. All the steps should be posted on the D-Link site.

wbjunkie

Feb 17, 2008
I have noticed that a lot of Wifi issues I faced in 1.1.2 and 1.1.3 are no longer there in 1.1.4
So if you haven't upgraded this is as good an excuse as any.

90% of the open routers I have found also have open admin and setup.
You access them by entering http://ip.address/something.html

THe exact link can be found in the user manual or through the manufacturers web site. Like the guy above said.