WiFi not recognized-can only use EDGE?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

timaging

Jun 5, 2007
so here's the deal:
  • I can see other public WiFi spots and the proper icon will show up in the status bar-but the signal is complete crap.
  • I log in to my home WiFi, put in the password, it gets accepted, and the E icon shows up in the status bar.
  • If I go to settings, it says that WiFi is on and my home connection is selected.

I just also updated the Airport Extreme firmware to 7.1.1, but I am still only connected via EDGE.

Any ideas how I can get on my own network? I can't seem to find anything like this in troubleshooting section on the Apple website.

Dave

bigcat

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Seems the phone does not work with private wifis. Ive been unable to connect to my wifi either. Same as you report. Public wifi (no password) seems ok

so here's the deal:
  • I can see other public WiFi spots and the proper icon will show up in the status bar-but the signal is complete crap.
  • I log in to my home WiFi, put in the password, it gets accepted, and the E icon shows up in the status bar.
  • If I go to settings, it says that Win and my home connection is selected.

I just also updated the Airport Extreme firmware to 7.1.1, but I am still only connected via EDGE.

Any ideas how I can get on my own network? I can't seem to find anything like this in troubleshooting section on the Apple website.

Dave

Heckler

Jul 1, 2007
Wrong..The iPhone does work with private wifi's. Many,many, many people are successfuly connected to their home networks using their password and encryption. I have no idea about your particular problem but this sounds like user error.

MacFreak

Jul 5, 2007
You should see airport icon on iPhone once it connected with WiFi.. Also, I never having problem wit it.

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
I had no problem connecting to my home wifi network which is using the Apple Airport Express and AT&T's DSL service.

However, I was having trouble connecting to my girlfriends wifi which uses Earthlink DSL. I had to Google "Earthlink DNS servers" and manually enter the IP addresses. Now it works flawlessly.

excap

Jul 8, 2007
having the same issue

Wrong..The iPhone does work with private wifi's. Many,many, many people are successfuly connected to their home networks using their password and encryption. I have no idea about your particular problem but this sounds like user error.
Same issue on my WEP-enabled home wifi. It shows connected in the wifi settings, but I still get the dreaded "E" icon and no wifi when loading web pages.

jimwarden

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Had same problem...Reactivated.. Fixed It

I had the same problem when I first activated my iPhone. In my haste to get my iPhone going, I interrupted the initial syncing of the iPhone. My home WiFi did everything you are describing, but didn't work with the iPhone. I reactivated my iPhone and it has worked like a charm ever since.

Jim

Diablo25

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
PA
I was having the same problem. I just deleted my home (WEP protected) network from the phone and then re-enabled it. I put in the WEP key and now its fine.

MacFreak

Jul 5, 2007
I was at St Louis Baseball game and got free WiFi and worked real well but didn't show airport icon. I open safari and show website load real fast. I don't know why airport icon didn't stay there and edge still show icon. Umm.. Maybe there is some bug?