WiFi on airlines?

RRlocoENGR

Bronze
Jun 15, 2009
Probably a silly question, but if I have my phone in airplane mode it disables WiFi. How do I use WiFi in the airplane mode? Surely there is a way to take advantage of WiFi in the air or internationally if you have your phone in the airplane mode.
:sneaky:

RRlocoENGR

Bronze
Jun 15, 2009
Thanks....I tried that and it works. Why does it disable Wi Fi in the first place?

Just because I am a curious person!

Jun 25, 2010
I'd assume just incase you don't turn off your phone during takeoff. even though airplane mode is a sham as proven by mythbusters!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Because it's supposed to kill all the radios - cellular, WiFi and GPS. They decided to allow WiFi use while in airplane mode back on 2.0, but you have to turn it on manually each time unless you jailbreak. If you use the SBSettings toggle to go into airplane mode, WiFi will remain on.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Jun 25, 2010
Because it's supposed to kill all the radios - cellular, WiFi and GPS. They decided to allow WiFi use while in airplane mode back on 2.0, but you have to turn it on manually each time unless you jailbreak. If you use the SBSettings toggle to go into airplane mode, WiFi will remain on.

epona, im shocked, you jailbreak? you seemed like such a nice girl

moose

Bronze
Aug 20, 2010
The only way it could hurt an aircraft is if the communication cables weren't shielded... they always are.

NickB

Bronze
Nov 28, 2007

Where is the Airplane Mode sbsettings toggle? I searched for it but all i found was bossprefs which will not launch... i already have sbsettings anyway, but only have toggles for individual phone, wifi, edge, 3G, etc...

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
The avatar is a picture of Jennifer Carpenter. She plays Debra Morgan on Dexter. The season premier is tonight, BTW! :)