WiFi only in Safari?

Mar 19, 2008
Hi,

I've got a little problem with my iPhone. It connects to my wifi network (wep-security), and I can browse in safari without any problems. The problem is: i can use wifi only in safari!

As soon as I have my wifi turned on, maps, mail and weather stop working. With wifi turned off, all the apps work via gprs flawlessly (but slow and expensive :p )

any help will be highly appreciated!

thanks!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Sounds like a problem with port filtering on your router. Have you set up any port filtering (or has someone else)?

Also... why is GPRS (don't you get Edge in your area?) expensive. You should have a flat rate plan? Unlocked iPhone?

Mar 19, 2008
Sounds like a problem with port filtering on your router. Have you set up any port filtering (or has someone else)?

Also... why is GPRS (don't you get Edge in your area?) expensive. You should have a flat rate plan? Unlocked iPhone?
No EDGE here. GPRS is limited to 25mb per month for €5. After that it gets really expensive really fast :p .
Yes I have an unlocked iPhone, won it on national radio (strange, I know...I'm happy with it, though).

Anyway, back to the problem: I don't have any mac-address filtering turned on on my router. No other product in my house has troubles connecting to it. Xbox, wii, pc's and macbook pro all work like a charm. Only the iPhone seems to have this weird problem. And what makes it even more weird is the fact that the wifi works in safari, but not in all the other apps.

Mar 19, 2008
This is getting stranger by the minute. I was away to work for a while, came back home, connected to wifi, started maps, youtube, mail...everything worked fine. Happy happy bla bla...for a moment.

After about 5 minutes...same old problem...