WiFi password...

Feb 17, 2008
Okay I have been able to use wifi at my house from my laptop and now it is asking for a password. How do I make my computer visible so I can get online with my iPhone?

kariya9mdoa

Bronze
Oct 26, 2007
The password should be the same one as your home one.
Just go to setting on iPhone then wifi then it will bring up your network and then ask you for a key put the same key that you use for your home network. If you don't know it you will need to login to your wireless router and get the key from there or make a new key up but if you make a new one you will have to change that on all computers connected to the network. I hope this helps you.

If i have misunderstood your question please tell me because i have setup hundreds of wireless networks.

HappyModding

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Okay I have been able to use wifi at my house from my laptop and now it is asking for a password. How do I make my computer visible so I can get online with my iPhone?
If you're trying to get on the laptop, you need to setup peer to peer networking. However, if the laptop is connected to a router in an Ad Hock configuration, then you will not be able to connect correctly.
If you are trying to get on the router that you also connect to with the laptop, then you need whatever security key that was set on the router.
If you don't know what that is... Well, you would have to completely reset the router and start from scratch and setup a new security key.
If the Wireless network that you are connecting to for the laptop is not your own and you are leaching the signal from a neighbor, then I don't know what to tell you. Technically, if the laptop can connect without a password, then so should the iPhone. And if the laptop is connected with a password, but you don't know what it is (how is the world could that happen?) then I would have to say that you are SOL.

Oct 22, 2008
Port Colborne, ON
the password is what number from what exactly? Is it the SSID # or the SN #or what is it. because i never use a password to get in so how do i figure out what the password is on the PC

Dec 17, 2008
PA
If you google the type of wireless router you have(For example Linksysy WRT54GL). You should be able to find directions for the setup which will be web based.

You can find directions for how to setup Wifi seciruity and so forth...someone must have set a password on yours when it was setup.

So for example on the Linksys it works like this.http://www.columbia.edu/acis/networks/aptnet/linksys/index.html

Dec 25, 2008
I had the same problems. I could not use the designated home password. I ended up entering the encryption key and it work. Both on my iPhone and on my daughters Touch IPod. I have a Linksys....
Thanks

Dec 25, 2008
By the way. I only entered it once when I tried to get Wifi access and it found my connection at home. Never had to enter again. Never had to go into General Settings and do anything...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Yep, that's what the encryption key is. Your iPod touch or iPhone will remember it, and computers will also by default.