WiFi password

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

dttacconi

Sep 7, 2007
It might be a dumb question since I am really new about iPhone... I am at work now and my phone sees a wifi network, but it has the password? how am i going to figure out what the password is?

Thanks

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
It might be a dumb question since I am really new about iPhone... I am at work now and my phone sees a wifi network, but it has the password? how am i going to figure out what the password is?

Thanks
Ask someone in the IT department for it. Thats what I did and they emailed it to me.

jealous17

Aug 31, 2007
Ask someone in the IT department for it. Thats what I did and they emailed it to me.
be careful with doing it at work unless you really trust them because once your connected to the wifi there then they can easily hack into it and view personal things. i stay away from my wifi here at work because i don't trust everyone in my company's IT.
just a thought.

up10ad

Genius
Gold
Aug 1, 2007
Fruita , CO
up10ad.com
That seems a bit paranoid to me ;), and the ability to tap into a WiFi stream and monitor it is well beyond the skills of most IT departments. Even if they had the packet sniffing hardware and talent to capture your spcific WiFi packets, they could only see what you were sending and receiving, they couldn't actually get into your iPhone to snoop around. If you are sincerely worried about people snooping on your WiFi streams because you are sending or reciving sensitive or very personal data, you probably should be much more worried about using a public WiFi connection. The ultimate protection is to only use a WiFi connection that offers encryption which is part of the spec.

I wouldn't be too concerned under most circumstances.

Rick

jealous17

Aug 31, 2007
That seems a bit paranoid to me ;), and the ability to tap into a WiFi stream and monitor it is well beyond the skills of most IT departments. Even if they had the packet sniffing hardware and talent to capture your spcific WiFi packets, they could only see what you were sending and receiving, they couldn't actually get into your iPhone to snoop around. If you are sincerely worried about people snooping on your WiFi streams because you are sending or reciving sensitive or very personal data, you probably should be much more worried about using a public WiFi connection. The ultimate protection is to only use a WiFi connection that offers encryption which is part of the spec.

I wouldn't be too concerned under most circumstances.

Rick
well that makes me feel better. i thought they could hack in. i asked for the password one day and he even mentioned he was looking for it while i was wifi. thats what i get for assuming.:mad:

Oct 31, 2007
so i have searched the forum and not found an answer to this, but i have comcast wireless and my iPhone sees the wifi connection but it is locked and in need of a password. my friend has comcast and his works, so my question is if i get a router will this somehow make the wifi on my phone work?

iStealth

Bronze
Nov 5, 2007
so i have searched the forum and not found an answer to this, but i have comcast wireless and my iPhone sees the wifi connection but it is locked and in need of a password. my friend has comcast and his works, so my question is if i get a router will this somehow make the wifi on my phone work?
Not sure I understand, but if you have the router, you should know the password? for example I have a linksys router and I set up my own wifi password and protection protocal. and my ipod touch. If comcast set it just call them. you iPhone or iPod touch should be able to connect as long as you know it.

iStealth

Bronze
Nov 5, 2007
Not sure I understand but the post I have qouted says you have comcast wireless, So I would imagine you have a router, or maybe you are just getting a signal from your neighbor? It that is the case your neighbor will have to give you the password. Of if you have just highspeed (wired) from comcast you will need to get a wifi access point (about $50 US) and then you should be good. If you neighbor won;t give you the password you will have to have a laptop and hacking tools...