WIFI please help

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

foamtech

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
hi.. i got my phone for about 3 month now and i still could n ot find a way to connect to wifi at my house !It's working fine at coffee shop or anywhere eals where wifi is avalible , but since i am getting signal form a local company here in europe that got a small reciver on top of the building and we all ues it ! and i tried to contect that company to have them add my wifi address but i was told i would have to pay for a second line (twice as much ).. NOW i know there is a way to get connected to that wifi espacilly if iam getting signal to my phone but cant figer out how and thats why i need some help from u smart pepole .. eighter way thanks for reading this ..and please tell me what to do or link me to the right page .. thanks again !

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Well, if it's a propriatary signal, then you need their access code to get connected. It's it's just WEP enabled, then you need the security code.
IF you see the signal and select it, what happens? does it ask for a security key? Or does it look like it connects fine, but when you go to browse nothing happens?

foamtech

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Well, if it's a propriatary signal, then you need their access code to get connected. It's it's just WEP enabled, then you need the security code.
IF you see the signal and select it, what happens? does it ask for a security key? Or does it look like it connects fine, but when you go to browse nothing happens?

yes it seems like it connected but it not

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Ok, after it looks like it connected, try opening a web page, and when it fails, open a new page and try to reach a bookmark. It should redirect you to a "login page" for the service.
I have noticed that not all of the propriatary networks redirect on the first try. Sometimes they don't work at all, but most will after the 2nd or 3rd try.
If that still doesn't work, go into Settings, then Wifi, and click the > symbol to the right of the connection that is active. Take a look at the IP address. If it starts with a 169. IP address, then it's a failed connection. It means that the phone failed to pull a valid address from the router.
IF there is someone else there that has a valid connection, take a look at their IP address and see if you can manually add an address that follows theirs. Like if they have 192.168.1.152, try 192.168.1.160. Or just go straight to the last available address which would be 192.168.1.255
These are examples, and doesn't mean that the IP addresses I used for the examples are what you will see. But the last number 255 IS the very last address that would be available on that subnet.

foamtech

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Ok, after it looks like it connected, try opening a web page, and when it fails, open a new page and try to reach a bookmark. It should redirect you to a "login page" for the service.
I have noticed that not all of the propriatary networks redirect on the first try. Sometimes they don't work at all, but most will after the 2nd or 3rd try.
If that still doesn't work, go into Settings, then Wifi, and click the > symbol to the right of the connection that is active. Take a look at the IP address. If it starts with a 169. IP address, then it's a failed connection. It means that the phone failed to pull a valid address from the router.
IF there is someone else there that has a valid connection, take a look at their IP address and see if you can manually add an address that follows theirs. Like if they have 192.168.1.152, try 192.168.1.160. Or just go straight to the last available address which would be 192.168.1.255
These are examples, and doesn't mean that the IP addresses I used for the examples are what you will see. But the last number 255 IS the very last address that would be available on that subnet.

so if i used the same ip address that on my laptop u think my i phone should connect >?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Yes, so long as you release the IP from your laptop first, right before you attempt to connect with the iPhone

foamtech

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Yes, so long as you release the IP from your laptop first, right before you attempt to connect with the iPhone
i tryed to do that but it did not work and if i remamber correctly the day i activeted wifi they need it my wifi address and withou it i could not get connected for nothing,, even i had signal..

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
so your laptop IP is "static"? if that's true, then no other device can use it, and you will need to get another IP from the company.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
what do u mean please explain ?
The last address of a subnet is called the broadcast address. Every device on the network listens to that address and it's used as part of the TCP part of the TCP/IP stuff that makes your network, well work.

Basically, you can't use that address for a device - it's 'special'. Well I say you can't - strictly not true, but you shouldn't.

Try pinging that address and see what happens!

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Sounds to me like you have MAC address filtering on the wireless router. That explains why they neeeded you address when you connected with your laptop. Grab the MAC address off the iPhone and put it in to the router and you should be good to go. That's exactly why it seems like it's connecting but you can't get anywhere. I'd be willing to be you look under the network and you don't have an IP address.