WiFi problem, iPod gets deauthorized by router?

garth420

Oct 19, 2008
I just got a brand new 2nd gen 32gb running 2.1.1, and I've tried everything I can think of to get wifi working, to no avail. I'm thinking it's got something to do with the security settings, because so far the only time it worked was when I ran the network with no security (which I would obviously like to avoid).
When I hit the blue arrow next to the network, none of the fields (ip, subnet etc.) are filled in. I tried filling in everything manually based on my router's status page (a D-Link DIR-625), and even added a DHCP reservation for the heck of it, but that didn't work either. The weirdest thing is that my 2 roommates both have iPod touches as well (they're both 1st gen mind you) and they had no problems at all with wifi on the same router.

I did find something interesting in the router log...this is what's logged as I'm trying to connect:

[INFO] Sun Oct 19 16:02:34 2008 Wireless system with MAC address ************ associated
[INFO] Sun Oct 19 16:02:36 2008 Wireless system with MAC address ************ disconnected for reason: Received Deauthentication.

If I refresh the list of wireless clients while the iPod is trying to connect, it DOES show up with the IP address I specified on the DHCP list, but it quickly disappears after the connection fails. If anyone has any ideas...thanks in advance!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
have you tried "forgetting" the network (on your ipod), and then reconnecting?

garth420

Oct 19, 2008
The strange thing is...there's nowhere under the settings for the network where I can "forget" it, but I do know what you mean, on other networks I have that option. I've tried entering the SSID and such manually but that doesn't work either. My theory is that the inabiltiy to forget the network is related to the IP address, subnet mask etc etc not filling in automatically.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i had the same problem with my iPhone some months ago. Honestly, i left to check the wifi functionality at Panera bread co (which worked fine), got home, and it started working again.

garth420

Oct 19, 2008
Hmm that's interesting, I'll check the school network tomorrow (I've got a feeling it'll work fine) and see what happens.