WiFi problems

Stargrrl

Jun 30, 2007
Still no luck with WIFI from my home I've been referred to these tips but I can find the button to toggle they are talking about, I don't see this little bar on the phone anywhere, are they talking about on the computer?

" If you are using WEP encryption on your network, you have two choices, WEP Password, or WEP hex or ASCII. Notice the little bar at the top that says “WEP Password” with an arrow next to it. If you are entering the Hexadecimal code for your WEP network, you need to toggle it to “WEP Hex or ASCII”.

Stargrrl

victo019

Jun 14, 2007
Where the tips located? My iPhone doesn't even bring my network up as a choice. My laptop and everything else on my wireless network is working fine. Do yo have a link for the tips or know what I should do. I have a D-Link wireless router.

iPhoner

Jun 28, 2007
Still no luck with WIFI from my home I've been referred to these tips but I can find the button to toggle they are talking about, I don't see this little bar on the phone anywhere, are they talking about on the computer?

" If you are using WEP encryption on your network, you have two choices, WEP Password, or WEP hex or ASCII. Notice the little bar at the top that says “WEP Password” with an arrow next to it. If you are entering the Hexadecimal code for your WEP network, you need to toggle it to “WEP Hex or ASCII”.

Stargrrl
1. Clik on Settings
2. Click on WiFi
3. Below "Choose a Network..." should be a list of available networks - click on the name of the network you want to join
4. When the "Enter Password" screen comes up, in the "Security" Box you will want to click where it says "WEP Password"
5. On the next screen that opens up, click on "WEP hex or ASCII"
6. Click on "Enter Password" towards the top of the screen
7. Enter your password on the password line and then click "Join" in the bottom right corner.

Hope that helps.

jacjac2

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Texas
You also might want to delete the wi-fi it is picking up, even though locked, and type it back in. I had to do that, then put in the passcode for security. Took my husband a while to figure out why do any type of security, no one can read you puter with out a password to get into the computer. yes right!

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Yeh this seems to be a problem with WEP encryption on the iPhone and/or D-LINK routers. You need to change the security to ASCII/hex.

If you can, upgrade your router to WPA and avoid the issue entirely. WPA is more secure anyway... WEP is pretty universally breakable.

Sep 23, 2007
...you have two choices, WEP Password, or WEP hex or ASCII. Notice the little bar at the top that says “WEP Password” with an arrow next to it. If you are entering the Hexadecimal code for your WEP network, you need to toggle it to “WEP Hex or ASCII”.
I keep seeing information regarding to this "WEP Hex or ASCII" choice but it is completely absent on my iPhone. I have followed the directions to a tee...but it's just not there. Did they kill hex support with a software update? Why?

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Are you guys still having problems with this?

The latest iPhone updates simplified the process by automatically figuring out if the key is ascii or hex.

sammydee

Sep 25, 2007
Are you guys still having problems with this?

The latest iPhone updates simplified the process by automatically figuring out if the key is ascii or hex.
Yes, still having major problems with this. The latest iPhone updates made this process MUCH worse, not MUCH simpler.

How, you ask? Here's my employer's HEX key.

Whatever developer at Apple thought that the iPhone could "automatically figure out if the key is ascii or hex" didn't think it through very hard. There's NO WAY to tell if the key above is ascii or hex. None. It could be either.

In any case ... with 1.02 this key (64-bit WEP) just doesn't work with the iPhone, no matter what you do.

...Sam

mcquaid1

Bronze
Dec 8, 2007
Ireland
Hi all,im experiencing problems using my wifi
i can log on and browse websites but when i try to log on to my hotmail acc it asks for my username and password as it should do, then when i type it all in it loads a new page and its just that page again, no red message saying wrong password or anything...just the same log in page?!?! any ideas?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Are your cookies enabled? I would look in Settings, under Safari and verify that they are first, then clear the history and cashe and try again.

bwlomas

Dec 13, 2007
I have 1.1.2 and it is not working...I don't have the option WEP Hex/ASCII. And it is not taking the password...how do I let it know if it is hex? because it is not detecting it on its own.

Dec 12, 2007
So I just got my iPhone today and I LOVE it, but anyways heres the problem: I have a secure wireless network in my house and the iPhone picks it up and asks for the password, I put in the password but it says it is incorrect, yet its not, what can I do?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Make sure you are using the correct password. Usually, it's a 26 digit WEP encrypted password. Most people make the mistake of trying to use the router's administrator password.