WiFi question

cere1bro

Oct 27, 2007
Does anyone know if the iPhone shuts off the wifi when it goes in to standby?

shawn

Bronze
Oct 11, 2007
I certainly think it would. Otherwise the battery consumption in standby would be relatively enormous. "Standby" pretty much halts all functions except for the clock, ipod, & phone-standby.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
yes it does. I know this b/c if you try to OPENSSH into the phone when the phone goes into standby it won't connect.

cere1bro

Oct 27, 2007
That's good to hear, thanks for the quick replys guys.

OniKoroshi

Bronze
Oct 25, 2007
Next time you are connected to wifi, put your iPhone in sleep, then wake it up. You'll see the E EDGE icon quickly change to the wifi symbol.

TJL7386

Bronze
Nov 14, 2008
Michigan
Ok here is the info:
3G iPhone
3.1 OS
No JB
U-Verse Home Wifi

My iPhone suddenly won't find or connect to my home internet connect. It has worked fine for more then a year and then all of a sudden it stops. I have two other computers at home and they find the connection just fine so I am assuming it has to be the iPhone. Has anyone had problems like this and what are some solutions that I can try?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Try resetting your network settings. It's likely due to the 3.1 update, apparently it has lots of bugs. If nothing works, you can revert to 3.0.1 or just wait for the 3.1.1 update.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
Ok here is the info:
3G iPhone
3.1 OS
No JB
U-Verse Home Wifi

My iPhone suddenly won't find or connect to my home internet connect. It has worked fine for more then a year and then all of a sudden it stops. I have two other computers at home and they find the connection just fine so I am assuming it has to be the iPhone. Has anyone had problems like this and what are some solutions that I can try?
My diagnosis would begin with these questions - Do you have a WiFi signal? Have you restarted the phone? Have you deleted the WiFi account, restarted the phone, then re-entered the Wifi account info?

I've also had problems since the 3.1 update. In my case, it seems to be mostly 3G signal bars going to 1 to 2 bars. If I restart, they come right back to 4 1/2 to 5 bars.

TJL7386

Bronze
Nov 14, 2008
Michigan
I do not have a Wifi signal any more. I have tried restarting the iPhone and then manually entering the information but that didn't help either. I do pick up other wifi signals but for some reason mine has stopped working.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
I do not have a Wifi signal any more. I have tried restarting the iPhone and then manually entering the information but that didn't help either. I do pick up other wifi signals but for some reason mine has stopped working.
Is there a chance that your router is configured to only allow a limited number of connections and that your phone is now outside that limited number? People often configure the router this way to avoid unauthorized folks from piggy-backing on their service.