WiFi Settings Disabled - "No Wi-Fi"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by manfredfunco, Jul 1, 2007.

1. manfredfunco

manfredfunco New Member

Hi, my Wi-Fi was working perfectly this morning. Now, i can't even enable Wi-Fi under settings. The option is greyed out with "No Wi-Fi". I tried shutting down, reset, restoring the whole iPhone, etc. to no avail.

Here's a screenshot
    http://img156.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wifierrorvl4.jpg

Has anyone seen this? I know i have many wi-fi networks active. I just connected to mine from the iMac that my iPhone is connected to.

Not that this has anything to do with this, but everything was fine until I went for a motorcycle ride on a hot day with my iPhone in my pocket which took some heat from the pipes on my bike (nothing extreme though). When i got back home, my Wi-Fi was hosed.

I hope "No Wi-Fi" doesn't mean it can't find the Wi-Fi hardware..

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Max

2. SPCartmanLand

SPCartmanLand New Member
    Bronze

damn dude if you tried a reset and all that then the wifi is prob. shot... hope this isn't a problem with a lot of units

3. SHuntVA

SHuntVA New Member

Wi-Fi

I have not seen that problem yet ... but will post another wi-fi question.

Apple posted several service notices ... One tells how to a hard reset of the iPhone (hold down the sleep AND the home buttons at the same time for 8-10 seconds) ...

That might get you back to a clean baseline.

4. manfredfunco

manfredfunco New Member

Yep, i did the hard reset. I even "restored" the iPhone which basically formats the phone and reloads the os.

5. SPCartmanLand

SPCartmanLand New Member
    Bronze

dam dude did you figure out anything yet?

6. SPCartmanLand

SPCartmanLand New Member
    Bronze

whats the status on it now?

7. manfredfunco

manfredfunco New Member

Here's the deal. I called Apple support. They didn't have any more information other than the stuff i already did (reset, turn wi-fi on/off). They started talking about changing the wireless settings but i kept saying I COULD NOT EVEN TURN ON WI-FI AT ALL. It was as if they never encountered this before. I can't say i have a problem with the tech support though. The darn thing just came out last Friday.

In the end they said they could log a ticket and get back to me if they found out anymore information. I said no thanks, i'll just go back to the Apple store and exchange it. They were really cool about it and gave me a new one which works just fine.

So back to when the problem started in the first place. The problem started after about a 2 hour ride in my jeans pocket on a hot day. yes, it was toasty, but it should be able to handle that (my iPod has been through much worse). I don't know if the heat is what caused the problem, or i just had a lemon. In all my googling, I did find just one other person that had the problem so it could (hopefully) be a rare thing.

8. SPCartmanLand

SPCartmanLand New Member
    Bronze

man **** this just now happened to me first damn day ive had the phone now i got no wifi i cant even enable it wtf

9. manfredfunco

manfredfunco New Member

sorry dude, did you just see my post before you bought one hoping it wouldn't happen, then it happened? I'm surprised i haven't seen more posts on this. Are you going to take it back? If you do, make sure you take your sim card before you return it. I didn't and had to be on the phone with att/Apple for about an hour trying to get them to deactivate my old card so i could activate the new one.

10. SPCartmanLand

SPCartmanLand New Member
    Bronze

I fixed it just rebooted phone read my post in iPhone that I posted thats what I think is happening

11. cooper

cooper New Member

wow, you took it to the Apple store and exchanged it, and they had one in stock for you?

12. rj5620

rj5620 New Member
    Bronze

On I am on my third iPhone from the Cincinnati Apple store, not for Wifi problems but for other goofy stuff, no speaker, no service at all etc. etc.

13. katsun

katsun New Member

Same thing happened to me. Wifi grayed out. I reset/restore the darn thing, and it worked. But a few moments later, same problem again. Did multiple reset/restores, but wifi never came back. So I think the wifi was shot. I Have a Linksys WRT300n v1.1 router...I wonder if the router blew out the wifi? Long story short, took back to Apple and one of the geniuses replaced my wifi-less iPhone with a brand new one. I am still hesitant to turn on the wifi at this moment...afraid the same thing will happen again, and I don't think this time they will have a spare iPhone to swap with me. Anyone else encounter this problem?:sick::sick::sick:

14. Timberry

Timberry New Member

Same thing, wifi disabled ... bought online

I've got the same symptoms, wifi completely disabled, it had been working since I got it, about two days ... I've done the soft reset a couple times now ... do I want to do the hard reset? Does the hard reset wipe out activation too?

15. manfredfunco

manfredfunco New Member

You can try the hard reset. It didn't do anything for me though. The activation doesn't get wiped out with a hard reset.

Has anyone else tried calling Apple support on this? When I called the day after launch, it was as if they never heard of the problem before. You'd think by now, they'd have a response to this.

16. Timberry

Timberry New Member

Seems fixed

My wifi is back. I powered up fully, and while power still attached, did the soft reset to get a "slide to turn off" option, which I used. I waited a couple of minutes and turned it back on, and my wifi was there ... and still is there, the next morning.

17. manfredfunco

manfredfunco New Member

Wow. I'm glad others are having better luck than I was. Maybe it isn't a hardware issue (?)

18. katsun

katsun New Member

soft reset you mean by pressing the home and power button simultaneously?

19. Timberry

Timberry New Member

Yes, that's what I mean by soft reset, and in this case it was connected to power at the time and as fully charged as it's been able to get ... mine never has admitted to a full charge, even after charging all night ... and after that it offered me the option of a "slide to turn off power." Tim

20. 303WRX

303WRX New Member

I just found this thread last night after experiencing the same problem with my brand new iPhone. It was only on for about an hour when the wifi stopped working. It was greyed out on the menu and said "no wifi." I tried resetting the phone numerous times, turning it on/off etc. and nothing worked. I made an appointment for the Genius Bar and went in this morning to have them look at it. They wiped it clean and re-installed the os and it still didn't work. He said that it must be a problem with the hardware and exchanged it for a brand new one :). This was the first phone they had seen this issue with and it doesn't seem to be a widespread problem. I'm very thankful Apple took such good care of me. If anyone else has this problem in the future I would recommend taking it in and getting it replaced if resetting the phone doesn't work for you.