WiFi speeds at home

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jul 24, 2007
What are everyones WiFi speeds at home on your iPhone?

I have a Linksys wireless G router. It's a few years old so this is why I'm asking.

My iPhone consistantly gets 3300 kbps. I know my laptop gets about the same too. but I have an 8 Mbps connection, and my wired windows machines get 6600.

Is it time for a router uprgade?

up10ad

Genius
Gold
Aug 1, 2007
Fruita , CO
up10ad.com
Remember, your wireless speed will depend totally on the broadband connection speed feeding your wireless; if you only have 512K DSL you can't go faster than that on your wireless. As for a router upgrade, your G router supports a theoritical speed of 54M, far faster than any available home broadband connection, so it isn't creating a bottleneck.

To answer your question about speed, if I test from my wired PC (bypassing the wireless) I get 5410Kbps. If I test via a wireless laptop I get 3505Kbps. If I test via my iPhone using wifi I get about 3133Kbps. So, I see a fair decrease in throughput just by using the wireless and an additional small decrease using the iPhone. My wireless is an Actiontec combo DSL router and wirelessG box. I'm probably going to try a different DSL router (a Netopia) with a separate wireless, probably a LinkSys. It will be interesting to see if that changes anything.

Jul 24, 2007
I keep hearing about the Airport, but I'm not sure if it works as well with pcs.

So does this mean that the hardware recieiving the signal from the router inside, say, the laptop and the iPhone, can only handle abot 3500 kbps?

Otherwise the signal coming from the router should be the same as through the wire.

Nov 17, 2007
What's the best method of testing my iPod touch's wifi speeds? I downloaded a 9.1 MB file from my Sendspace account using iShare, and the application showed it plateauing at 32 KB/sec, even though I have 1.5 megabit downstream DSL.

Is it possible the wifi device in the iPod touch is limited to 32 KB/sec?

Remember, your wireless speed will depend totally on the broadband connection speed feeding your wireless; if you only have 512K DSL you can't go faster than that on your wireless. As for a router upgrade, your G router supports a theoritical speed of 54M, far faster than any available home broadband connection, so it isn't creating a bottleneck.

To answer your question about speed, if I test from my wired PC (bypassing the wireless) I get 5410Kbps. If I test via a wireless laptop I get 3505Kbps. If I test via my iPhone using wifi I get about 3133Kbps. So, I see a fair decrease in throughput just by using the wireless and an additional small decrease using the iPhone. My wireless is an Actiontec combo DSL router and wirelessG box. I'm probably going to try a different DSL router (a Netopia) with a separate wireless, probably a LinkSys. It will be interesting to see if that changes anything.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Wifi bandwidth will depend on how fast your processor can handle the incoming data. How fast is your desktop? Your iPhone has a ~400 Mhz processor so ...

The speed you posted seems about right to me for the iPhone. Which version do you have? My wifi speed went up noticeably with the 1.1.2 firmware.

Nov 17, 2007
I know the bandwidth will depend on my processor speed, but I was asking about reliable speed testing for the iPhone/iPod touch. I have great bandwidth on my desktop.

I have the 1.1.1 firmware. I haven't upgraded to 1.1.2 yet because several of the Installer.App programs are invaluable to me at work, and I would like to keep using them.

Wifi bandwidth will depend on how fast your processor can handle the incoming data. How fast is your desktop? Your iPhone has a ~400 Mhz processor so ...

The speed you posted seems about right to me for the iPhone. Which version do you have? My wifi speed went up noticeably with the 1.1.2 firmware.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Really? That's strange, it's always worked fine for me.

I really like the results this one gives me :laugh2: (just a head's up... doesn't work for iPhone... but it's nice for showing off)

Last edited by a moderator:

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007

When I first got broadband I had a 350mhz computer hooked up to it and I was maxing out at the cap on the cable modem, which was about 3.5 mbps. I rememeber I could download at about 280 kb/s. I am sure the iPhone can handle more than 32kb/s because I downloaded a 6 mb file recently and took less than 30 seconds, which is over 200kb/s. Also, I am sure the iPhone has far newer and better parts than the 8 year old computer I was using with my connection.