WiFi sync VS iCloud backup?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hinezy, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Hinezy

Hinezy Contributor
    Silver

Am I right in assuming there is no need to use iCloud for backups if your device syncs wirelessly to your computer when plugged in to a power source and connected to wifi?

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

2. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

Correct - iCloud backups - as i see it - are mainly for those people who do not have a "central library and computer" that hosts their content. Or if you want to feel more secure in your backup being in Apples world and not on your hard-drive. I do use iCloud backup for the latter reason and have my and my fiance's iPhone 4S as well as my iPad 2 backing up to it.

3. Hinezy

Hinezy Contributor
    Silver

I've been backing up to both as well but I have an iPad and an iPhone both backing up under my account and just yesterday my iCloud backup failed because I am now over the free 5 Gb. I guess I can just stick with the computer backup.

4. Tmoreno2425

Tmoreno2425 New Member

Let me ask you this are you using a Mac or pc. If your using a Mac just make sure your using time machine to back up your Mac, I would hate for you to lose all your info and not be able to restore your phone cause you lost all your files. Pc is the same just make sure you back up your pc if you are not using iCloud.

5. Hinezy

Hinezy Contributor
    Silver

Yes, I'm on an iMac and I have a time machine so I should be safe. I might bite the bullet and pay the $20 for an extra 10gb.

6. whiteghost

whiteghost Member
    Bronze

Plus with iCloud you can restore anywhere as long as you have internet access ! :)