WiFi Sync

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by psylichon, May 26, 2008.

1. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Ya know, it struck me today how odd it is that almost literally NO ONE around here is clamoring for this feature, myself included. It's not something I think about all the time, but every now and then when going over to the corner of my room to plug in to sync, I think to myself, "Why the hell do I have to do this with such a well-connected device?"

I have heard no mention of Wifi Sync in the lists of future Enterprise features. I know there will be Activesync support... I'd use Activesync to sync contacts and calendar over BT if it supported it but way too slow for media. Plus, I'd really rather never turn on my BT antenna as I don't use a headset. Wifi is the way to go.

Regardless, when one thinks about it, this is about as obvious an omission as Cut-and-Paste or MMS.

2. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

Good point.

The mother of all portable devices - The Zune - can do this of course :)

3. dturner

dturner Zealot
    Gold

What a great point. Sometimes the things that are right in front of our face we fail to see. Now that you bring it up it seems like this is something the current phone should have maybe via an update.
    Think about the update that brought iTunes music purchase via WIFI for the iPhone. Why would sync be any harder?
    Again, great point. Let's hope Apple is listening.

4. Youngbinks

Youngbinks Zealot
    Gold

My friend with a Zune points this feature out to me all the time. I was actually thinking about how great a wireless sync would be the other day when I couldn't find my USB cord for a while.

5. psylichon

psylichon Genius

I hate plugging into the computer. The trickle charge is worthless unless you're stuck there all day.

6. freakydeaky dutch bastard

Silver

I totally agree with this, Dave. You'd think with Apple's recent inclination to make the brunt of their stable totally wireless, ie. MBA, TimeCapsule, .mac, etc., they'd provide for a more "mobile" iPhone.

7. iMerlin

iMerlin New Member
    Silver

wouldn't you still need to manage your playlists on the PC?

8. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Yes, but I don't change that up all that often. I'm more concerned about contacts and calendar, which I would like to sync with my wife everyday when we both get home from work. If Apple were to nail it, as soon as I came within range of my wifi (my driveway), iTunes would launch and see if there are any changes and sync the difference. Same with wifey. Happy, happy world.

I would probably elect not to transfer media this way, though it would be interesting to see if it might be faster than USB.

9. iMerlin

iMerlin New Member
    Silver

Wow, I never even thought about using it like that. Im giving my wife my current iPhone, hopefully she will love it as much as I do and maybe she will use it to its full potential. It be nice for her to update her calendar so I know what the hell is going on half the time!

10. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Exactly. I work at a recording studio, and my schedule changes literally by the hour. The first step is getting it to sync at home. The second step is getting it to sync with her phone as soon as I put it in my phone. The tech is out there already, I'm sure Apple will master it.

And I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.

11. ZodiacfreaK

ZodiacfreaK New Member
    Bronze

The wireless sync for me seems like an automatic. I am still shocked that Apple hasn't included it in a software update yet. You would think more people would be up in arms over this than there are!

12. braswellf5

braswellf5 New Member

If the new iPhone comes with wireless sync, video camera, & GPS the only thing I will be worried about is how much to sell my 3 month old iPhone for.

13. Quake97

Quake97 New Member
    Silver

I have been thinking about this recently too. I no longer have a "desk" as I keep my MacBook next to the couch and just use it whenever. I don't like tons of cables hanging from the side of the laptop, so I've been deSiring wifi sync. It would be nice for people in my situation.

Joe

14. monkeysrock0622

Gold

I do the same thing as you do, I just keep my laptop next to my couch. It gets really annoying to have to go back and forth from the living room to my room to get my cord (I use the same cord for the AC adapter and the computer). I would LOVE wifi syncing, not only because its nicer but because it is so cool. I can picture an interface for the iPhone/ iPod touch inmy head right now. (an interfaace wouldn't be required on the phone/ipod but it would make it easier)

15. RMMiles

RMMiles New Member

I am usually pretty good with figuring out how to correct a problem, but this one has me stuck. I have just recently upgraded from iPhone 4 to the 'S' and now my WIFI Sync is hit or miss. With the 4 the WIFI Sync worked every time and now with the 'S' I have to mess with it every time. I have tried turning on and off the wifi sync in iTunes and on my phone. This seems to work for at least one sync but then I get an error message on the second sync stating the the phone can't be found and then the phone disappears from iTunes. Any suggestions?

16. showguy

showguy Member
    Silver

I have found some of the same things. Mine seems to almost always work when I am directly installed to a wall charger. I know thats the way Apple said it should be done, but there was a time when I was able to sync without being plugged in.