WiFi Vs network

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

AndrewSE

Dec 28, 2011
How do I ensure my phone always uses wifi wherever possible (especially at home), rather than phone network? Also, how do I stop automatic notifications emails etc when not on wifi? Thanks!

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
How do I ensure my phone always uses wifi wherever possible (especially at home), rather than phone network? Also, how do I stop automatic notifications emails etc when not on wifi? Thanks!
Go to Settings > General > Network, and slide the slider beside Cellular Data to off. You'll see a brief explanation of Cellular Data immediately below the slider. I know of at least one functionality that will be compromised when you do this: Visual Voicemail. But you can still dial into your voicemail and hear your messages the old-fashioned way (in a serial fashion with voice prompts, as opposed to tapping on whichever voicemail you want to hear on the on-screen display).

As to your second question, if you're not on Wifi and you know you won't be anytime soon, go to Settings > Wi-Fi and slide the Wi-Fi slider to off. Your iPhone will stop "hunting" for a Wi-Fi signal or giving you any alerts about Wi-Fi status. This has the added benefit of using less battery, because "hunting" for the Wi-Fi signal does use up some battery. Remember to turn Wi-Fi back on when you're back home or at a Starbucks. =)

Sent from my alphanumeric pager. Problem?

AndrewSE

Dec 28, 2011
Go to Settings > General > Network, and slide the slider beside Cellular Data to off. You'll see a brief explanation of Cellular Data immediately below the slider. I know of at least one functionality that will be compromised when you do this: Visual Voicemail. But you can still dial into your voicemail and hear your messages the old-fashioned way (in a serial fashion with voice prompts, as opposed to tapping on whichever voicemail you want to hear on the on-screen display).

As to your second question, if you're not on Wifi and you know you won't be anytime soon, go to Settings > Wi-Fi and slide the Wi-Fi slider to off. Your iPhone will stop "hunting" for a Wi-Fi signal or giving you any alerts about Wi-Fi status. This has the added benefit of using less battery, because "hunting" for the Wi-Fi signal does use up some battery. Remember to turn Wi-Fi back on when you're back home or at a Starbucks. =)

Sent from my alphanumeric pager. Problem?