WiFi will not turn on

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Flyingstar

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
So. Cal
I noticed that my phone was resorting to 3G for internet connection instead of my router. I looked at wifi under settingsw and it was in the off position. When I tried to move the "switch" from off to on it would not move. I did a reset, no luck, then a restore W/ iTunes, still the same? all the other functions are working. ?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Resetting network settings often works. Did you restore to factory settings? Is it still under warranty?

Flyingstar

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
So. Cal
Restoring network settings did not help, "turn on Wifi" is still grayed out. now trying: restore to factory settings. But it wants to do a software upgrade first, even though I have the latest software (6.1.3)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Hopefully restoring to factory settings fixed it. If not, you'll have to have the phone replaced.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yes, it will ask you if you want to use your backup after you restore. Selecting no makes it a restore to factory settings.

So it was still greyed out after the factory restore?

Feb 3, 2013
Can you connect your Wifi now? Just put it in DFU mode then restore :) If it doesn't help, it's nice that the phone is still on warranty. Surely, they will replace it with a new one.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Can you connect your Wifi now? Just put it in DFU mode then restore :) If it doesn't help, it's nice that the phone is still on warranty. Surely, they will replace it with a new one.
That's exactly what I said. ;)
Actually, I went to the Apple store yesterday and this issue is NOT cvered under the warranty.
Broken WiFi most certainly is covered under the warranty. Is your phone less than one year old and still under warranty? Was WiFi greyed out after the factory restore? There is no way I would have left the store without a replacement if WiFi was greyed-out on a factory-restored, warranty-covered iPhone.

Flyingstar

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
So. Cal
That's exactly what I said. ;)
Broken WiFi most certainly is covered under the warranty. Is your phone less than one year old and still under warranty? Was WiFi greyed out after the factory restore? There is no way I would have left the store without a replacement if WiFi was greyed-out on a factory-restored, warranty-covered iPhone.
unfortunately (or fortunatly) it started working again on the way to the store. so I could not show them the grayed out slider. My phone goes out of warranty on the 21st so I just gtotta hope it does not happen again....

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Okay, now I understand. Just to clarify - the problem is covered under warranty. They didn't replace it since the restore fixed it. A DFU restore is always the last troubleshooting step. It usually fixes software problems like yours.

Flyingstar

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
So. Cal
Well it will not cconnect with Wifi again! its been just fine for the last three months, and suddenly WiFi option is grayed out again. tried to do a restore ten times and I keep getting the message (after 20 minutes or so)
"there was a problem downloading your software. the server timed out" so now I have no wifi again. Yes I tried the DFU thing....

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Well it will not cconnect with Wifi again! its been just fine for the last three months, and suddenly WiFi option is grayed out again. tried to do a restore ten times and I keep getting the message (after 20 minutes or so)
"there was a problem downloading your software. the server timed out" so now I have no wifi again. Yes I tried the DFU thing....
Try downloading the firmware from iClarified instead of iTunes. Also, update iTunes and reboot the computer.