WiFi will not turn on

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by Flyingstar, May 11, 2013.

1. Flyingstar

Flyingstar Member
    Bronze

I noticed that my phone was resorting to 3G for internet connection instead of my router. I looked at wifi under settingsw and it was in the off position. When I tried to move the "switch" from off to on it would not move. I did a reset, no luck, then a restore W/ iTunes, still the same? all the other functions are working. ?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Resetting network settings often works. Did you restore to factory settings? Is it still under warranty?

3. Flyingstar

Flyingstar Member
    Bronze

I will try the network settings. I restored to saved back up. not sure abut the Warranty...Thanks for respnding.

4. Flyingstar

Flyingstar Member
    Bronze

Restoring network settings did not help, "turn on Wifi" is still grayed out. now trying: restore to factory settings. But it wants to do a software upgrade first, even though I have the latest software (6.1.3)

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Hopefully restoring to factory settings fixed it. If not, you'll have to have the phone replaced.

6. Flyingstar

Flyingstar Member
    Bronze

It wont do a factory restore, it keeps wanting to do an update to 6.1.3 which I already have!

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

8. Flyingstar

Flyingstar Member
    Bronze

Is there some way to do a restore from backup so I don't have to reload all my app's and photos and music like I would if I do a factory restore?

9. Flyingstar

Flyingstar Member
    Bronze

Apointment W/Genius bar on Mon. phone still under warranty

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes, it will ask you if you want to use your backup after you restore. Selecting no makes it a restore to factory settings.

So it was still greyed out after the factory restore?

11. alicepattinson

Bronze

Can you connect your Wifi now? Just put it in DFU mode then restore :) If it doesn't help, it's nice that the phone is still on warranty. Surely, they will replace it with a new one.

12. Flyingstar

Flyingstar Member
    Bronze

Actually, I went to the Apple store yesterday and this issue is NOT cvered under the warranty.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That's exactly what I said. ;)
    Broken WiFi most certainly is covered under the warranty. Is your phone less than one year old and still under warranty? Was WiFi greyed out after the factory restore? There is no way I would have left the store without a replacement if WiFi was greyed-out on a factory-restored, warranty-covered iPhone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Flyingstar

Flyingstar Member
    Bronze

unfortunately (or fortunatly) it started working again on the way to the store. so I could not show them the grayed out slider. My phone goes out of warranty on the 21st so I just gtotta hope it does not happen again....

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Okay, now I understand. Just to clarify - the problem is covered under warranty. They didn't replace it since the restore fixed it. A DFU restore is always the last troubleshooting step. It usually fixes software problems like yours.

16. alicepattinson

Bronze

That's exactly what I said as well. Hahaha. so cute ;)

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Right because what you said was exactly what I had already said before you said anything.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

I'm so confused... :)

To the OP: glad you got it working!

19. Flyingstar

Flyingstar Member
    Bronze

Well it will not cconnect with Wifi again! its been just fine for the last three months, and suddenly WiFi option is grayed out again. tried to do a restore ten times and I keep getting the message (after 20 minutes or so)
    "there was a problem downloading your software. the server timed out" so now I have no wifi again. Yes I tried the DFU thing....

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Try downloading the firmware from iClarified instead of iTunes. Also, update iTunes and reboot the computer.