WIFI won't connect even with full strength

ckest13

Jan 24, 2008
When I'm home, I connect no problem. I work in the city and see places to connect to, many of then have full strength signal that do NOT require a password to join the network. I will click on it and it will say unable to connect to network. This even happens at the train station where the network is called FREE PUBLIC WIFI and it has full strength.

Has anyone experienced this? Any info would be great.

Thanks

gibby71

Silver
Jan 8, 2008
in a galaxy far far away...
MAC address is how a network first identifies you. All network interfaces have a MAC address, it is built into the hardware level of the device. To see what your iPhones is click settings -> General -> About there you will see the Wi-Fi address. You will need to have the owner of the router enter that number into there router for you to be able to access it. You can read more info on MAC address here.

ckest13

Jan 24, 2008
thank you but I can imagine that the over 50 networks with good strength all have this..when my house and my inlaws house i can connect to easily. could it be?

gibby71

Silver
Jan 8, 2008
in a galaxy far far away...
MAC filtering is a common method of protecting wifi networks, because its easy to set up. See if you can find out where one of the networks home is and have them add you. I have found a few some of my local restaurants that have wi-fi that I have had to give them my MAC to get on there wi-fi. Some Wi-Fi sites may also require you to log onto a web page to access the network. In other word if you don't know who owns the network there is no real way of know why you can not connect.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Well, yes, you can get a loose idea:

If you get the "Cannot connect" message, you either:

1. Don't have a good enough signal

2. Haven't specified the correct WEP, WPA, or WPA2 passcode

Now, if MAC filtering is on, that can take one of two common forms:

1. AP is told not to permit connection - you get "Cannot connect" message.

2. AP lets you connect, but sends your traffic straight to hell - you connect but can't do a damned thing.

If they are using a portal, you will connect, but can't get anywhere except to the portal login site, which you will get when you attempt to surf anywhere in Safari.