Will 3G result in a more expensive data plan?

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
I'm confident I'll switch over to the 3G iPhone soon after its release, but am curious to see if the price for the data plan increases.

Has there been any discussion related to this topic?

Jun 7, 2007
Queens, NY
I'm confident I'll switch over to the 3G iPhone soon after its release, but am curious to see if the price for the data plan increases.

Has there been any discussion related to this topic?
yuh damn skippy. Chances are you will have to pay more. From what I heard they may cap the monthly bandwidth. May be a couple of gigs a month. Who knows only time can tell

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I think it is fairly obvious that the 3G iPhone will require the more expensive $30/month data plan. As for the bandwidth cap, AT&T has capped the 3G plans at 5 GB/month. If you can download 5 Gb of data in one month on an iPhone, I'd be really impressed. :cool:

gadgetgal

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Even though I doubt I'd ever use 5 GB in a month, if there is a cap put into place with 3G, then it truly would not be an "unlimited" data plan anymore.
However, if I know I'll never go past the 5GB cap, and the speed is that much more noticeable, I guess it would be worth it. I just hope the price increase isn't too huge.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
The cap is to prevent you from tethering your phone to a laptop or desktop and cancelling your landline internet connection and just use AT&T. They couldn't handle that sort of burden.

And yes, the plans will probably cost around $30/mo. Maybe more?

gotpancakes

Bronze
Nov 24, 2007
well imo AT&T really doesn't care about the popular price and how it looks on the iPhone/Apple. so i could def. see the monthly charge being$45+

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
So can someone estimate this for me?

iPhone Data+3G
least amount of minutes
1500/unlimted text
=?
$1000/mo

or maybe $3? The point is no one will be able to give you an answer you can trust because absolutely no one knows.

soloudinhere

Bronze
Jun 18, 2007
Currently the iPhone plan with 450 minutes is $59.99 a month. To upgrade to 1500 texts it adds $10/mo so you would be looking at $69.99 a month before taxes and government fees.

3G isn't necessarily more expensive. You pay the same price for an EDGE blackberry as a 3G blackberry.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I have a 3G AT&T Tilt. I'm on the 450 minutes (WITH ROLLOVER ;)), unlimited texts and the Media.NET Unlimited plan. I get a 24% discount through my company and I usually pay around $55 a month for it.

450 minutes = $39.99
Unlimited Media.Net = $19.99
Unlimited Texts = $9.99
Total: $69.97 + taxes.

I used to use the same plan for my iPhone until I sold it. I have no plans on moving to any other plan when the 3G phone comes out. I will just unlock it and continue as I did before.

I Sling a lot and tether to my laptop, and use about 2->3 gigs a month.

I can see AT&T charging people for the PDA plan ($39.99) for the 3G iPhone.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
I have a 3G AT&T Tilt. I'm on the 450 minutes (WITH ROLLOVER ;)), unlimited texts and the Media.NET Unlimited plan. I get a 24% discount through my company and I usually pay around $55 a month for it.

450 minutes = $39.99
Unlimited Media.Net = $19.99
Unlimited Texts = $9.99
Total: $69.97 + taxes.

I used to use the same plan for my iPhone until I sold it. I have no plans on moving to any other plan when the 3G phone comes out. I will just unlock it and continue as I did before.

I Sling a lot and tether to my laptop, and use about 2->3 gigs a month.

I can see AT&T charging people for the PDA plan ($39.99) for the 3G iPhone.
Not only that, but why do iPhoners have to pay $20.00 dollars for unlimited text!:mad:

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I think my unlimited plan is an old add-on that I got sometime back. I checked the same plan last night and it is now $20.00

AT&T needs to make that $15 billion profit somehow!

Hence why I totally disagree in signing up to an iPhone plan. I believe people should just unlock their phones, because they have paid for it in full.

Not only that, but whey do iPhoners have to pay $20.00 dollars for unlimited text!:mad:

Jul 17, 2007
baby oahu
i'm feeling really bad for you AT&T customers... they know how to rip people off. glad I got out when I can...

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
i'm feeling really bad for you AT&T customers... they know how to rip people off. glad I got out when I can...
I pay considerably less for service through AT&T than I ever did through Verizon Wireless.

If memory serves, I was paying somewhere around $40 a month for unlimited data through Verizon. I pay $20 through AT&T. I love the rollover minutes (of which I have quick a nice stash) and the coverage has been every bit as good as I had through Verizon.

If anything, I have found AT&T's service to be VERY reasonable when compared to other providers.

Jul 17, 2007
baby oahu
other providers? but you only mentioned Verizon.... try T-Mobile... $6 for unlimited internet.... $15 for unlimited TEXT... 5 bars no drop calls.... please AT&T salesperson don't try to back them up... did you have to pay pro rated with no type of discounts? your first bill!:oops:

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
What steps would I have to take in order to have an iPhone set-up on T-mobile?
-Also how would I get the Internet working, or data required things?

dodgeboy23

Bronze
Feb 13, 2008
Chicago
What steps would I have to take in order to have an iPhone set-up on T-mobile?
-Also how would I get the Internet working, or data required things?
Basically you download ZiPhone 3.0

Its has a very easy GUI to follow that will allow you to unlock it and jailbreak it at the touch of a button. After that you insert your t-mobile sim card and you're good to go. If you want the internet plan that costs $5.99 you have to go into installer icon (which will appear on your phone after jailbreaking it) and install the "tzones 5.99 hack". After that you just have to call up t-mobile and request the 5.99 plan which will enable to surf the net on the phone.

The everythingicafe modifications section is very helpful as well. Every question you have has most likely been brought up.

http://forums.everythingicafe.com/forums/iphone-jailbreak/

Hope everything goes well. Good luck!

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Thanks bro, Im seriously considering doing this cause the At&t plan I want is about $90 dollars- 450min, Data, and unimited text, my only dilemma is that I want the 3G iPhone and we all know that T-mobile doesn't have 3G service.

Jul 17, 2007
baby oahu
3g is coming for tmobile, in the summer bout the same time as bb bold release for tmo.(rumors) its up to you pay a lot monthly or switch to tmo. I can't wait till they be able to unlock/jailbreak 3g iPhones.... Then I'll have $6 3G unlimited.