Will all iPhone 4S be factory unlocked since its a world phone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

NewGuy

Bronze
Dec 30, 2009
Toledo, OH
www.facebook.com
The 4S is gonna be GSM and CDMA so does that mean if I get it from AT&T it will still be unlocked? I know they didn't say anything about it on the key note but figured someone might have read something somewhere.

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
The 4S is gonna be GSM and CDMA so does that mean if I get it from AT&T it will still be unlocked? I know they didn't say anything about it on the key note but figured someone might have read something somewhere.
Good question. I'll bet they'll keep it locked until you pay them off, at least the 2 years unless you're a good long time client and you prove you're going overseas or something like that. Or they might just give you the option of buying full price unlocked.

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
Good question. I'll bet they'll keep it locked until you pay them off, at least the 2 years unless you're a good long time client and you prove you're going overseas or something like that. Or they might just give you the option of buying full price unlocked.
I had not such luck AT&T employees are not very smart when it comes to unlock
They tried a few times

NewGuy

Bronze
Dec 30, 2009
Toledo, OH
www.facebook.com
I had not such luck AT&T employees are not very smart when it comes to unlock
They tried a few times
Haha ya i wouldn't count on AT&T to do anything. I will just buy the unlocked one if need be but im actually up for an upgrade on the 7th haha. They wouldn't even need to change my date for it. I'll post if I find out anything but iPhone phone store reps have no clue yet.

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
I didn't count on them either so i just bought mine factory unlocked overseas.
I should have done that LOL I was just in germany went to the store and was told my phone is alreay unlocked
Oh no carrier in DE was working and the O2 guy was trying so hard
I called AT&T from GErman they gave some code etc. and walked me through it .. fun almost 1 hour later (calling US from Germany) they couldn't do it. I was told at Apple store they won't unlock any phones and at BEst Buy to go to Apple Store . At AT&T I had some *** tell me I had no real iPhone because of iOS5 and then it was jailbroken. The other store had no clue what the hell carrier lock is? So understandable if I get fruststrated. I am not going to cancel AT&T but I may tell them I will if I can't get my other phones (I own 2 of them) unlocked.

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
They'll unlock your other phones as long as they're not iPhones and your account is up to date. I have a whole mess of ex-AT&T phones unlocked by them. I just ended up using one for a neighbor that had her iPhone stolen. Until she gets another one she'll have to use my little flip phone I lent her. I always carry that little flip phone in my luggage in case my iPhone gets stolen or I lose it so it finally got some use.

NewGuy

Bronze
Dec 30, 2009
Toledo, OH
www.facebook.com
talked to Apple. got some mixed replies but the one girl that sounded like she most knew what she was talking about and also took the most time to look into this for me said:
there is currently note of an unlocked contract free iPhone 4s to be released but the release date is listed as unkown. She said her guess right now would be since it is listed as a world phone that it will come unlocked from AT&T. She did say that they know as much as we do as they don't expect Apple to release all the information until sometime tonight.
I also spoke with AT&T and they said I am eligible for an upgrade of any kind but they know nothing about the iPhone yet.

P.S. for AT&T customers, there is an app AT&T is making for iPhone users who want to upgrade. So there will be an app to lower congestion friday.