Will Android Wear smart watches support iOS?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by chris, Mar 18, 2014.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Serious question. As most of you have probably seen, the Moto 360 looks extremely cool. While I'd love to see what Apple does with the iWatch, there are no guarantees that it comes out this year. I'd say "or all", but the facts seem to point to this wearable device existing and I cannot see Apple leaving this category on the table.

Let's say that Apple announces iOS 8 in June and a new iPhone 6 in September, but the iWatch isn't announced. I'd really like one of these Moto 360 watches, provided it offers a decent battery life, etc. Most importantly, I'd like it to co-exist with my iPhone. Is that crazy? If I'm Google and this is doable, it wouldn't make sense to exclude a big part of the market. iOS already runs most, if not all of the apps that would interact with the watch. My only fear is that it requires control of the phone, control that Apple wouldn't permit under the iOS developer guidelines.

Thoughts? Will the new watches developed on Android Wear work on iPhone?

2. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

The Moto 360 looks pretty good. It puts the Galaxy Gear to shame. Since Google isn't in the businesss to make money off of hardware as much as collecting data, I would think they would make it available to work with the iPhone to get it on as many wrists as possible. The question is, will Apple allow the Moto 360 work with an iPhone. If Apple has an iWatch in the works, they probably will not allow it to communicate with the Moto 360 since that would be allowing competition into their ecosystem.

3. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Wear will be available for a variety of companies Fossil also Samsung (made a deal with Google) included
    iWatch will be Apple and iOS
    I got the Moto X and just loaded the Developer review App I really will look at the watch closely.

4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

So much for my hopes and dreams of using the Moto 360 with iOS. It's compatible with Android devices running Android 4.3 or later, according Motorola executives at today's Google Hangout.

5. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Don't despair Chris, grab a pebble steel and wait for iwatch. I finally received my pebble steel!

6. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Now that we've sort of seen the Moto 360, I cannot imagine grabbing a Pebble of any kind. I want one of those awesome looking displays on my wrist with eiC notifications.

7. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Moto 360 is a good looking device but not good looking enough to make me switch phones :)

8. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Well yeah, that's the catch. I do carry an Android phone from time to time, but iPhone all but surgically attached to me. I have to say that seeing the Android stuff gets me excited for what's behind the Apple iWatch curtain. @Europa mentioned that less than 10 percent of users will use Healthbook. If there is a wearable device (iWatch) that automatically pulls data about your health, that number skyrockets.

9. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Yes, using pebble for me reminds me of when I stuck with a palm V despite other devices having a color screen, etc. I held my palm close until the moment was right and HP came out with a device that met my expectations.

10. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I couldn't really find anything on the Moto 360 except the videos. The images of the watch look like CGI in a concept video. I would like to see hands on performance. Hopefully this isn't something like Glass where only a select few will have it.

11. Cédrik Marchildon

Cédrik Marchildon New Member

I want a Moto 360 but i don't have a iPhone. Does the watch will work with an Ipad, an Ipod or a Mac?

12. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

No, it will require an Android phone, one that supports Android Wear. If you are sold on the Moto 360, I'd advise you wait until it's available and consider the Moto X1. That is, if you are ready to go all in with Android.

13. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

So wear is Android only. My LG shipped today. I would think Google will release a version later. I say this because I compare to Glass. Glass will eventually move to wear. Just some functions may not be available on iPhone just like it is with Glass. I agree with Chris wait for the Moto 360 and see if they release the new Moto X+1 the same time hopefully for a deal.

14. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Hey there, Moto 360.

IMG_1438.JPG