Will Apple add MMS feature to iPhone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

cmrush

Jun 28, 2007
I posted the question now about mms,
I didn't ask if it will be upgradable to mms or not. Is there any talk of software upgrades for this.... without having to wait for 2nd gen?
I still cant believe Apple and its bar setting standards would have a phone you cant send pics on.

Radis

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
if the new iPhone does not have MMS i will be very upset. almost all the phones on the market now a days have this ability. the phones can send pics and videos. this is one thing i am hoping the most for!

What do you want the most in the new iPhone?

RichR

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
I agree, but don't hold your breath. As much as I would LOVE to see this feature come to the NEW iPhone just think... This has been a feature that has been around WELL before the first iPhone over a year ago and it STILL does not have it! Apple clearly does NOT care about picture mail. My god, you cant even hack it anymore as they shut it off in your account if they see MMS's sent over iPhone data plans.... So stupid but its on my wish list too!

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I am using my GFs Sony Ericsson W580i as I sold my old iPhone (yes it's old technology now), in readiness for the new 3G one.

I cannot get over at how lacking in functionality the iPhone is. I missed not being able to send MMS (both picture and sound), using the phone as a bluetooth modem and all the other stuff this regular cell phone has that the iPhone doesn't.

if the new iPhone does not have MMS i will be very upset. almost all the phones on the market now a days have this ability. the phones can send pics and videos. this is one thing i am hoping the most for!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Again, I think people confuse software upgrades with new hardware. It will not take a new iPhone to make MMS happen. And if Apple did come out with it for the new kit and not offer it for V1, they would be fools.

Cut-and-paste, MMS, bluetooth support.... these sorts of things, if addressed, will most likely be addressed on all generations of iPhones.

3G, GPS, video conferencing... these sorts of things need to be addressed with new hardware and could only be offered on the new model.

Radis

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Again, I think people confuse software upgrades with new hardware. It will not take a new iPhone to make MMS happen. And if Apple did come out with it for the new kit and not offer it for V1, they would be fools.

Cut-and-paste, MMS, bluetooth support.... these sorts of things, if addressed, will most likely be addressed on all generations of iPhones.

3G, GPS, video conferencing... these sorts of things need to be addressed with new hardware and could only be offered on the new model.

i did not know they could do all that with just software updates, thank you :)
but yes video confrencing would be very cool!

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs

Yes and no. For a long time Apple has come up with new things on the iPods and not put them on the older generations. I realize Apple considers the iPhones a constant revenue source, but they might put some software items on the new iPhones and not on the originals. Something like keep the original iPhone at 1.x firmware and continue the next gen iPhone at 2.x.

Joe

Fafafoooey

Bronze
Apr 26, 2007

Yeah, it sucks when someone send me a pic message and I have to log into a website to get the pic. Sucks. Even if the resolution for video recording is less than max, it would be much better than nothing. Perhaps they are worried that people will fill the iPhone up with music and movies that if someone does not watch the space usage on the iPhone while they are recording, the phone might crash or something else. But pic messaging should be there at very minimum. Maybe AT&T didn't want people eating up bandwidth until they finished 3G? haha

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
Yes and no. For a long time Apple has come up with new things on the iPods and not put them on the older generations. I realize Apple considers the iPhones a constant revenue source, but they might put some software items on the new iPhones and not on the originals. Something like keep the original iPhone at 1.x firmware and continue the next gen iPhone at 2.x.

Joe

While there is an outside chance that you may be correct, version 2.0 has been out for developers the SDK for some time now. They are developing these programs for the current iPhone not the new one (well yes the new one too). I am pretty sure that the software will be almost identical for both the new and old iPhone, there will just be a few things that the old one wont get like video conferencing due to bandwidth restrictions.

For some reason the MMS thing I think has more to do with AT&T then Apple, which I am not sure why because if they are worried about bandwidth there are plenty of phones out there now that can send MMS at a rapid pace and some of them being 3g.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yes and no. For a long time Apple has come up with new things on the iPods and not put them on the older generations.
The stuff added to the iPod lineup were really extras, though... games and such. While there have been no legit third-party apps up to this point, the announcement of the Appstore means that Apple intends to truly market the iPhone as a mobile computing platform. If they were to set artificial limitations on the G1 iPhone to sell G2 phones, they would be shooting that campaign in the foot.