Will Apple ever adopt Slingbox?

mstape

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
Has anyone heard of anything involving slingbox on the iPhone ? I would love to be able to stream live T.V. on that beautiful screen. It would be great work work when im missing an important cavaliers game.

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Has anyone heard of anything involving slingbox on the iPhone ? I would love to be able to stream live T.V. on that beautiful screen. It would be great work work when im missing an important cavaliers game.
The was a press release from Slingmedia a few weeks before the iPhone was released about their interest in building a Sling player for the iPhone.

I have a slingbox and it looks great on my friends BlackJack.

Let me see if I can find the link.

mstape

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
Thanks - I think this would be sweet - but it looks like they are kinda down on the edge network. No surprise there. It would probably have to be the same quality as the videos that are on the youtube function. They look descent when im on a wifi connection - but are pretty crappy when using edge -

Last edited by a moderator:

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
I like this idea very much.

:laugh2:

Magicman

Sep 7, 2007
San Diego
The was a press release from Slingmedia a few weeks before the iPhone was released about their interest in building a Sling player for the iPhone.
Slinging on an iPhone would be awesome. Hope it comes through. I have a sling box and have been trying to find a workaround but not being as smart as the avarage bear isn't helping.:eek:

Magicman

mcaram16

Silver
Jul 26, 2007
Long Island, NY
I think if the iPhone came out for verizon we'd already have the sling media....i'm pretty sure ATT will fight against this! EDGE being as slow and pathetic as a 56k modem would never be able to handle it! I certainly doubt that you'd be able to watch 5 min of a show without wanting to throw the iPhone across the room because the picture would be horrible (even worse than utube when your on EDGE)!

edstroyer

Jul 1, 2007
This is one of the reasons I returned my iPhone, "I couldn't take being without Slingmedia".

I currently Sling using an 8525 on AT&T's (so-Called) 3G network with very few hiccups!

Once the iPhone is 3G and Slingbox capable, I'll give it another try!

tzhourdeka

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
What about the Location Player? I would love watching TV on long car rides.

Sep 25, 2007
Massachusetts
What about the Location Player? I would love watching TV on long car rides.
What is the 'Location Player'?

I'd love to see Slingbox working with the iPhone (even if it needs to be done solely with WiFi), but I'm concerned that Apple will restrict this due to a desire to sell AppleTV.

Also, how much will AT&T be concerned about the use of Slingbox when there are probably many users already using tools like MyCast.Orb?

Thanks for any information! I've had the iPhone for only a couple weeks, but I'm enjoying it greatly and I'm looking forward to all the upcoming advancements.

divabimbers

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
Arizona
What is the 'Location Player'?.

It's Sony's answer to Slingbox, the major difference being that LocationFree also streams to PSP as well although there are other differences but that one stands out the most. Or at least it does to me.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
In a nutshell, sling would overlap Apple's own AppleTV, irregardless if they are on different platforms. Sadly for us, that only leaves software alternatives like Orb and Telekinesis with settings to scoop up your TV programs through many many hoops and lots of jumping.