Will Apple honor warranty on unlocked iPhone

Mar 7, 2008
I've been looking on eBay recently and people seemed to have cracked unlocking iPhones but still have the 12 month Apple warranty on- obviously they wont tell me how they did it. After all, I'm not too fussed when I have it- I just don't want to spend hundreds of pounds on a iPhone then Apple wont replace/repair it.

Can anyone help me?

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 7, 2008
if its unlocked and you look for Apple to help you it ain't gonna happen. Unlocking the phone without a doubt voids your warranty.
Thanks mate. This is what I can't understand. Could you just check an email I just got back from a seller on eBay?

"Hi there, please don?t worry about your long or vague question; it?s my duty to assist everybody interested in my items, regardless of previous knowledge!

You?re correct that these iPhones have not been sold ?unlocked?, however we have a resident software engineer who takes the iPhone out of the box, unlocks them in minutes with only inserting one USB lead, and replaces them. He?s so good that he doesn?t even need to remove any of the plastic labels on the iPhone itself! All accessories and extras remain untouched and are still in the box.

Apple obviously don?t like people unlocking iPhones however it?s not illegal in any way and once an iPhone is sold to us, we are legally free to do what we want with it and resell it. We are the only UK iPhone dealer who can unlock the real iPhone on the latest 1.14 firmware in a manner which takes any GSM without cutting it or resizing it at all. Ie. No need to slice your sim card in half like with other iPhones. We are the only people who unlock the iPhone in a manner where all features can be used, no compromises at all!

As for utilising the warranty with Apple, we ensure it is fully intact as with a single move, the iPhone can be restored to it?s original state in a manner which does not differ from the original locked iPhone. Due to new unlocking software being developed, the bootloader and coded baseband (technical software terms) are not modified at all ? this means that the warranty has not been made invalid as Apple ?allow? users to do anything except modify the bootloader or baseband. As we don?t do this, Apple will fully validate your warrantee! (In fact, it?s impossible for them to be able to tell that you?ve had it unlocked).

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks!"

Mar 7, 2008
At the moment I have a Nokia n95 and a iPod Video 80gb. The 16gb holds 4,000 songs but I'm passed that. Will they bring out a bigger one? No idea what to do because I don't want to carry around a iPhone and a 80gb

What would you do?

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
At the moment I have a Nokia n95 and a iPod Video 80gb. The 16gb holds 4,000 songs but I'm passed that. Will they bring out a bigger one? No idea what to do because I don't want to carry around a iPhone and a 80gb

What would you do?
I would start using Smart Playlists in iTunes. I mean, really, how often are you away from your computer long enough to listen to all 4,000+ songs and wish you had more? ;)

Mar 7, 2008
I would start using Smart Playlists in iTunes. I mean, really, how often are you away from your computer long enough to listen to all 4,000+ songs and wish you had more? ;)
Yeah true. However, I was thinking of selling and using the iPhone as my phone and mp3/4 player...

Wonder if they bring a bigger one out?

Mar 7, 2008
Thats what I need to know! Will be expensive though so I might just get a 8gb unlocked off eBay and use my iPod video aswell. Would be nice to know though.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
An unlocked one should do you just fine as long as you don't need visual voicemail and you don't make a mistake of trying to update the firmware through iTunes.

Good luck.