Will Apple improve iPhone GPS capability with firmware updates?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

KindKief

Sep 19, 2007
I am going to pose some questions that probably on many of our minds....

I recently bought an iPhone at the new discounted price. This price cut was what I was waiting for. Now I am a pretty tech savvy individual, I don't write code or even design web sites, but I am an advanced consumer of tech products.

i am just curious to what the earliest version of the iPhone improve through the great Apple updates. Firmware that is.

The iPhone lacks GPS...I think that would be a kick ass addition. now I don't know how GPS works. Is it a software enabled feature or hardware? Can it come later with a software update from Apple?

Can, and, or will Apple update Safari and Mail for the iPhone? I think they are kick ass apps, but they can be better right? More productivity is in my mind.

Your thoughts are appreciated....

yes this is my first post

-kief

jwhcowan

Jul 5, 2007
Welcome :) I helped subsidise your phone ;)

Over in the software forum there is a thread 'Holy Crap' which details a 3rd party app dev regarding cell tower triangulation that is considered a GPS substitute:
http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/holy-crap.10566/ In theory, Apple could have done the same, albeit less buggy?

It is widely believed that v1.1.1 will be released in the next few days - it is already on the demo iPhones in the UK. See http://www.iphoneatlas.com/ for more information on the specifics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wet1

Bronze
Sep 17, 2007
CT Shoreline
True GPS would require an antenna (which our phone doesn't have). I tired the program above, with no success. With some polishing it could work okay, even though it will never be as accurate as a true GPS... but that's fine with me.

What I'd like to see added soon is basic file management and a simple copy/paste feature!

KindKief

Sep 19, 2007
I am aware of that program but it is useless if it wont work while traveling. Apple probably excluded this feature because they knew edge sucks so bad. Same with ichat.

I'd like to see safari with a double click like to open pages in new window like I do with tabbed browsing.

I would also like to use mail to e-mail from my different .mac alias'. That feature is lacking.

What else do you all think Apple could update.