Will Apple Replace A unlocked iPhone With Another Unlocked iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by ITS ME DAVID, Oct 13, 2012.

1. ITS ME DAVID

ITS ME DAVID Evangelist
    Gold

I did a factory unlock on my Gf 4s but now the screen is loose makes a clicking noise and can feel it move I have an appointment at the Genius Bar tomorrow and I'm sure there gonna replace it but will they also factory unlock the replacement phone as well since iPhone unlocks use the imei # of that individual phone.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No. The new one will be locked, so you'll have to buy another eBay unlock.

3. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I can't hurt to have them check for the unlock they can do that right there

4. ITS ME DAVID

ITS ME DAVID Evangelist
    Gold

yes I'm gonna let them know that it's unlocked and hope they will unlock this one if not no biggie I guess

5. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Apple can not unlock phones :(

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Apple doesn't do the legit unlocks, AT&T does. Apple will give you a locked AT&T phone. As far as I know, they don't even have the factory unlocked phones in the store. I had to order my unlocked 4S online last year because of this. The best you can hope for is to get is an AT&T locked phone replacement given to you as a "device-only" with no contract, which would require a restore to unlock, but I doubt they will do this. I really think you're going to have to buy another eBay unlock.

Let us know how it goes. I'm really curious if telling them it's unlocked will have any impact on the replacement - as in them refusing to replace it since and saying you voided the warranty because it's not an Apple/AT&T approved method. Are you planning on telling them that she bought it as a factory unlocked phone?

If it was me, I wouldn't risk telling them. It's not worth the $6.75 and trying to get a legit factory unlock in trade for an eBay unlock is pushing your luck.

7. ITS ME DAVID

ITS ME DAVID Evangelist
    Gold

the unlock from ebay are cheaper now $4.95 from unlock fusion so ill probably just order another from him.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Good plan. ;)

9. ITS ME DAVID

ITS ME DAVID Evangelist
    Gold

Actually Apple just replaced the back plate there on the spot.