Will Apple replace if silent button fell off?

ijen0311

Sep 3, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
The mute switch on my iPhone fell off. Is this something that would be covered under warranty or is this considered cosmetic? Nothing I did is responsible, so I'm thinking Apple should fix it.

MileHighRob

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
I think some people have complained about this issue in the past. I'd say as long as it doesn't appear you dropped the phone on that upper corner causing it to come off, they'll probably replace it. If it obviously came off from damage caused by the user they definitely won't cover it. Someone else with more experience with your particular issue will chime in before long.

Nemss316

Bronze
Jun 17, 2008
St. Louis, MO
yep. I had the silent button popoff of my phone, took it back and got it replaced with no problems.

r1mania

Jul 19, 2008
Same thing happened to mine. I took it back to Apple store and got another one with no hassles.

Sep 1, 2007
West Central Florida
these new quality control issues are wild... and highly dissapointing. I hope there is only a certain batch of phones they can weed out!

hope this worked out for you!

ijen0311

Sep 3, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
thanks everyone! Genius appointment is tomorrow but at least now I'm not worried :) I'm just hoping I don't end up with a worse phone...

TyWebb

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
Paradise, FL, USA
Yep my silent button popped off too. haven't gotten around to returning it yet tho because the closes Apple store is an hour away. Ive just been turing the ringer volume all the way down when i want to go into mute mode.

GrundeyNL

Dec 30, 2008
Hello, i live in Holland...

I had the same problem with my iPhone, it just came off the phone. Wasn't my fault.

Went to an Apple reseller where i bought the phone, they said i had water damage on the censors in the headphone jack...

If they tell you the same, don't accept it.
I called my phone provider, and they replaced it without any problems!

I know you guys have normal Apple Stores, so thats not the same as a reseller.

Also, anything which isn't caused by yourself should be replaced. In the warranty it states: if the problem is caused by> water damage or other hings like that, dropped, then you will lose your warranty, everything which isn't caused by any of those things, is still warranty and youll end up with a brand new iPhone!

Greetings and have a great 2009 everybody!

(sorry for the bad english)

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
The Apple store replaced mine no questions asked. This one seems to be holding on pretty good. And as always, just make sure to restore if you are jailbroken.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I noticed that with my most recent replacement the silent switch feels a lot more sturdy than on my previous 2 3Gs. I'm not sure if it is coincidental or not but maybe Apple is doing something to correct the problem proactively.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I noticed that with my most recent replacement the silent switch feels a lot more sturdy than on my previous 2 3Gs. I'm not sure if it is coincidental or not but maybe Apple is doing something to correct the problem proactively.
I would say you may have a point. I was a late adopter of the 3G (kept saying I wasn't going to get one :laugh2:) and the switch on my phone is very solid.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Mine didn't fall off, but I was taking care of the iPhone as if it was a baby. Because I know if something happens, then I'll be left with a broken phone that can't be fixed in this damn country.

USCGTO

Dec 30, 2008
Los Angeles
Just replaced mine

for some other warranty issues

but as I read this thread, I do realize, the new silent button needs a lil more force to be pushed in either direction. Kinda more stubborn click. sure is different .

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I think some people use their thumbnail to move the switch, which probably contributes to the switches falling off. I use the flesh of my thumb to move it, which I believe prolongs the life of the mute switch. Just my two cents.