Will Apple replace it?

jooley

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Land of the #1 Jayhawks!
My 3G 16gb white iPhone is cracked on the back and still under warranty. I have an appointment with a genius tomorrow. What do you think they will say. Will they replace it? Since the 16gb 3g is no longer being sold maybe they will give me a 3GS! :)

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
My 3G 16gb white iPhone is cracked on the back and still under warranty. I have an appointment with a genius tomorrow. What do you think they will say. Will they replace it? Since the 16gb 3g is no longer being sold maybe they will give me a 3GS! :)
if it is the stress cracks that have been reported in the past I see no reason why Apple wouldn't replace it. If your phone shows physical damage/cracks from handling or mishandling they probably won't replace it. However, don't get too set on getting a 3GS. I'm pretty sure they still have plenty of refurbs to hand out for warranty purposes ;)

jooley

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Land of the #1 Jayhawks!
if it is the stress cracks that have been reported in the past I see no reason why Apple wouldn't replace it. If your phone shows physical damage/cracks from handling or mishandling they probably won't replace it. However, don't get too set on getting a 3GS. I'm pretty sure they still have plenty of refurbs to hand out for warranty purposes ;)
It's the stress fracture, no signs of damage. I figured they're holding on to refurbs for such instances but I can sure hope!;)

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
It's the stress fracture, no signs of damage. I figured they're holding on to refurbs for such instances but I can sure hope!;)
As a matter of fact, they do have to replace it if its under warranty and I called the Apple Tech support because I too have stress cracks in my 16G 3G Black, and want to swap it out.

I have an appointment at the Apple Store in my mall tomorrow. I called the store and they were ambiguous as to if they had any referb replacements or not. They said if they didn't have any they could send the phone out for me and have the replacement sent back to me and it wouldn't take long.

I then called the Apple Tech support number, and they called the store and couldn't get a straight answer out of them either as to the amount of stock they had for replacements. He told me you have to use the right words when dealing with the Geniuses. Ask them if they have any "Service Stock" in and they can take it from there. I don't know how that would work, but it's worth a try.

Anyhow, I'm going to my store tomorrow, getting a replacement, getting an Apple Care Protection plan for it to extend the life of the 3G another year and selling the hell out of this thing this weekend.

You should have no problem getting a replacement for your phone.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Another poster on here has reported that Apple have recently been getting a lot stricter with replacing 3g's - In the past I have scatched my case or dropped the phone and "needed" a new one. Id go to a genius and say that it intermitantly turns off or something like that and they would just instantly replace it.

However, this poster had stress fractures on the back of the 3g and they said that the iPhone had been dropped and that no replacement would be issued, so I hope you get a nice genius that will just replace it for you!

jooley

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Land of the #1 Jayhawks!
Update: they replaced it with another 3G 16gb white. yay!
Of course now it's taking half the day to restore everything, but I have a crack-free phone :)

Curko

Jul 5, 2009
In the UK you should be entitled to it I would think - don't know about US law

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
In the UK, Apple are becoming very strict on their replacement policy. If they see any sign of accidental damage to the case it will not be replaced anymore!