Will Apple replace my 4GB iPhone with 8GB iPhone?

iphoneshmeyephone

Bronze
Feb 2, 2008
My iday phone has started to show some serious wear and tear lately. There seem to be some serious hardware problems with my silent/ringer and volume buttons and I'm thinking about taking it in to a Mac Genius later today.

My question is since the 4gb iPhone is pretty much obsolete these days should I expect to be getting an 8gb replacement phone when getting mine swapped out? Has anyone in NY had any experience with this? I have been putting off taking it in to the store bc I start thinking the longer I wait the less likely it will be that they will have a 4Gb unit to swap out for me.

Any thoughts or insight would be great!

dwp1975

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Rockville, MD
you may have a good chance of getting a 8gb, when they dropped the 4gb price to $299 those devices flew out the door, I know I tried to get one the week it was dropped and I couldn't find one anywhere, and the Apple site's refurb iPhone page has not had any devices in months. So, go ahead and give it a shot, worse thing that could happen is a refurbed 4gb that works :)

dwp1975

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Rockville, MD
you'll get a 4gb. They have plenty refurb 4 giggers left
Is Apple holding all the 4GB refurbs for replacements?, b/c they never list them on their refurb site. I wouldn't mind scoring a 4gb for cheap and selling my 8gb. I don't need the storage, still got almost 7gb of space left after two months of owning it. :laugh2:

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
I went in to Apple with a 4Gen iPod 20GB, with a sixthtime HD failure.. and this was in 05, and the video was already out for a year now, but they had no problems whatsoever replacing it..

the iPod that was discontinued a year and something before..

>_<

so the point in this seemingly random life story was that they will have old items in stock - they will be refurbished, and they will give one to you. no matter how lob. you wait.

iphoneshmeyephone

Bronze
Feb 2, 2008
So I took it in today. Good news they replaced my phone for free! Still a 4gb but hey my 8 month old iPhone was getting pretty ugly. I was surprised my phone had been dropped a few times and had some serious scratches everywhere and they still replaced it!

iphoneshmeyephone

Bronze
Feb 2, 2008
Yeah it did come in a white box. Im pretty sure its a refurbished because the serial number starts with 5K. It looks completely new. I just hope the battery and screen brightness are in good shape. I used my first iPhone a ton so I am sure this will be a major improvement in both looks and performance.