Will Apple replace my 4GB iPhone with 8GB iPhone?

iphoneshmeyephone

Bronze
Feb 2, 2008
My iday phone has started to show some serious wear and tear lately. There seem to be some serious hardware problems with my silent/ringer and volume buttons and I'm thinking about taking it in to a Mac Genius later today.

My question is since the 4gb iPhone is pretty much obsolete these days should I expect to be getting an 8gb replacement phone when getting mine swapped out? Has anyone in NY had any experience with this? I have been putting off taking it in to the store bc I start thinking the longer I wait the less likely it will be that they will have a 4Gb unit to swap out for me.

Any thoughts or insight would be great!

dwp1975

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Rockville, MD
you may have a good chance of getting a 8gb, when they dropped the 4gb price to $299 those devices flew out the door, I know I tried to get one the week it was dropped and I couldn't find one anywhere, and the Apple site's refurb iPhone page has not had any devices in months. So, go ahead and give it a shot, worse thing that could happen is a refurbed 4gb that works :)

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
We took my wifes 4g in 3 weeks ago or so and they gave her a 4g back. I imagine that your gonna get a 4g back.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Go on and get it taken care of. Worse case you get a 4gig refurb. Best case you come out with an 8gig.

iphoneshmeyephone

Bronze
Feb 2, 2008
Well in that case maybe better to wait until day 364 of my warranty . . . Who knows maybe the 16gb will be old and obsolete by then :)

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Well in that case maybe better to wait until day 364 of my warranty . . . Who knows maybe the 16gb will be old and obsolete by then :)
You maybe right, but you also might find that you have to pay extra if the 4gigs are gone. Just something to think about.;)

dwp1975

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Rockville, MD
you'll get a 4gb. They have plenty refurb 4 giggers left
Is Apple holding all the 4GB refurbs for replacements?, b/c they never list them on their refurb site. I wouldn't mind scoring a 4gb for cheap and selling my 8gb. I don't need the storage, still got almost 7gb of space left after two months of owning it. :laugh2:

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
I went in to Apple with a 4Gen iPod 20GB, with a sixthtime HD failure.. and this was in 05, and the video was already out for a year now, but they had no problems whatsoever replacing it..

the iPod that was discontinued a year and something before..

>_<

so the point in this seemingly random life story was that they will have old items in stock - they will be refurbished, and they will give one to you. no matter how lob. you wait.

PhilipJohn

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
Bronx, New York
I had a 4g, and a while back I had some issues with mine, and they replaced it with an 8g. They did through Apple care and fed ex, not the store though.

iphoneshmeyephone

Bronze
Feb 2, 2008
So I took it in today. Good news they replaced my phone for free! Still a 4gb but hey my 8 month old iPhone was getting pretty ugly. I was surprised my phone had been dropped a few times and had some serious scratches everywhere and they still replaced it!

dwp1975

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Rockville, MD
So I took it in today. Good news they replaced my phone for free! Still a 4gb but hey my 8 month old iPhone was getting pretty ugly. I was surprised my phone had been dropped a few times and had some serious scratches everywhere and they still replaced it!
sweeet! Was the replacement in a little white box?

iphoneshmeyephone

Bronze
Feb 2, 2008
Yeah it did come in a white box. Im pretty sure its a refurbished because the serial number starts with 5K. It looks completely new. I just hope the battery and screen brightness are in good shape. I used my first iPhone a ton so I am sure this will be a major improvement in both looks and performance.