Will AT&T let me upgrade early?

Smokey

Bronze
Sep 17, 2008
Considering all the talk of a new iPhone this summer...I've read on here that people who weren't anywhere NEAR done with their 2 year contract were able to upgrade to the 3G...I bought my 3G in September last year..if a new phone were to be released this summer At&t would let me upgrade? and for how much?

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
The first iPhone was NOT subsidized so AT&T had no choice but to let us all upgrade. The 3G IS subsidized so AT&T could screw us over this time around. Hopefully there will be three prices, one for brand new iPhone users, one for iPhone 3G owners, and a no-contract price.

FrankieG889D

Bronze
Mar 23, 2009
I actually just read that if your iPhone bill is over $100 then you are considered a valued customer and you will be alloud to get an early upgrade.
I'm not sure how real that is though.

Smokey

Bronze
Sep 17, 2008
****! I get a discount and only pay 83..maybe right before it comes out i will lose that discount ;)

FrankieG889D

Bronze
Mar 23, 2009
****! I get a discount and only pay 83..maybe right before it comes out i will lose that discount ;)
How are you getting this discount.. i would love to save 25 bux!

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
The first iPhone was NOT subsidized so AT&T had no choice but to let us all upgrade. The 3G IS subsidized so AT&T could screw us over this time around. Hopefully there will be three prices, one for brand new iPhone users, one for iPhone 3G owners, and a no-contract price.
they did not have to let us, many people where still in a 2 year contract from a subsidized phone they bought before there iPhone. Apple and ATT came together to allow existing iPhone owners upgrade and im assuming they will do the same this year

FrankieG889D

Bronze
Mar 23, 2009
they did not have to let us, many people where still in a 2 year contract from a subsidized phone they bought before there iPhone. Apple and ATT came together to allow existing iPhone owners upgrade and im assuming they will do the same this year
Yeah, that would be the ultimate way to make money!

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
The best you can hope for is what wildonrio suggested. The 3G is a subsidized phone and most likely you will not get a subsidized price on the next phone just because you own the 3G. If ATT plays nice, we might get a price somewhere between the subsidized price and the full price.

Smokey

Bronze
Sep 17, 2008
just tell them u work for best buy. I happened to mention it right when I was buying the phone so instead of paying 110 (roughly) I pay 83

FrankieG889D

Bronze
Mar 23, 2009
just tell them u work for best buy. I happened to mention it right when I was buying the phone so instead of paying 110 (roughly) I pay 83
Haha that is sweet.. do you actually work for best buy or you just said that.?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Haha that is sweet.. do you actually work for best buy or you just said that.?
You have to show a pay stub to qualify for a FAN discount. Also your company has to be listed with ATT. The discount applies to your voice plan and any other service of $30 or more. I think my FAN discount is 15%.

Smokey

Bronze
Sep 17, 2008
I did at the time. but they don't know I found another job :)

Smokey

Bronze
Sep 17, 2008
i didn't even need it, i just mentioned it and hes like oh dude good thing you told me you get a discount! haha

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
You'll pay retail if you upgrade in your contract. If they allow it. Expect between $500-600.