Will AT&T offer insurance?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jun 16, 2007
I haven't seen this question asked yet. Current AT&T / Cingular customers can get "Equipment Insurance" on their phone, for which I pay $5 a month. If something happens to your phone (you run over it with your car, dog eats it, whatever) you only have to pay a deductible to replace it, instead of the retail price of the phone.

Being that the iPhone purchase appears to be through Apple, do you think that means you won't be able to get the equipment insurance through AT&T?

Superfreaknduper

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
From what I've read... most likely not. The other threads mention that AT&T have a 60 day return policy on phones, while Apples Return policy is only 30 Days, so AT&T will only have 30 day policy for iPhone...i think since it is an Apple device all equipment type issues will be through Apple and AT&T will only be handling service issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

C130

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
Texas
Cingular/ATT&T doesn't offer insurance on Smart Phones or PDA's, at least they didn't when I purchased both about a year and a half ago. I hope that Apple will provide their Applecare for the iPhone.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Cingular/ATT&T doesn't offer insurance on Smart Phones or PDA's, at least they didn't when I purchased both about a year and a half ago. I hope that Apple will provide their Applecare for the iPhone.
There will be no insurance offered by Cingular / AT&T. I think that *maybe* you can get an Apple Care plan for all Apple devices...dunno if this one is to be covered, as well...?
Also, AT&T WILL NOT be handling ANY tech support for the phone, as well. That's straight from the horse's mouth. (My boss' wife that works in AT&T Tech Support, per her training class 2 days ago)

ATTingular

Bronze
May 27, 2007
AT&T doesn't offer insurance on any phone they sell. It's all paid and supported by a contracted insurance agent, because AT&T isn't licensed to insure anything. It is this agent, Asurion, which decides to insure what and when. Generally, the cheapskates don't offer to insure anything over $250-$300 in value.

WolfmanXII

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
California
there is no way that you will have a chance to get insurance. they do not offer insurance for any PDA phone which go around 300 so i doubt they will for the iPhone which runs 600.

sajawebb

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
there is no way that you will have a chance to get insurance. they do not offer insurance for any PDA phone which go around 300 so i doubt they will for the iPhone which runs 600.
AT&T might not insure it, but AppleCare is provided by Apple Inc for all of their products. Whether it be computers, ipods, even Apple tv.

Toranz82

Bronze
Jun 7, 2007
Florida
AT&T doesn't offer insurance on any phone they sell. It's all paid and supported by a contracted insurance agent, because AT&T isn't licensed to insure anything. It is this agent, Asurion, which decides to insure what and when. Generally, the cheapskates don't offer to insure anything over $250-$300 in value.
i think your incorrect because i've always been an att/cingular customer and recently like in sept of 2006 i had a smart phone and i was able to get insurance on it

Jun 6, 2007
cingular doesn't offer me insurance on my blackberry pearl. So they wont have it on there iPhone. Apple will have it for sure. They have Apple care protection for everyone of there products. That only if it breaks if you lose it your screwed

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I haven't seen this question asked yet. Current AT&T / Cingular customers can get "Equipment Insurance" on their phone, for which I pay $5 a month. If something happens to your phone (you run over it with your car, dog eats it, whatever) you only have to pay a deductible to replace it, instead of the retail price of the phone.

Being that the iPhone purchase appears to be through Apple, do you think that means you won't be able to get the equipment insurance through AT&T?
Welcome to EiP.

the probably won't. they didn't offer it on the RAZR when it was a Cingular exclusive either. they did start offering insurance after the prices dropped some in '05. Maybe by next year, they'll do the same with the iPhone.