Will disassembly lead to a system restore?

Jul 21, 2011
New York, New York
I'm new to this forum, but not new to forums in general or new to Apple products. My iPhone 4 has been through some hard times mainly because of my lack of care. The screen has 3 permanent spots due to water damage, both sides of the glass are scratch, speaker is nothing like its supposed to sound, metal band is scratch and nicked due to a quartz crystal...well yes you get the picture.

Basically i want to rebuild my iPhone with all new parts but i don't want to lose my jailbreak or the software version. Will taking my phone apart lead to having a software restore due to it being unrecognized by iTunes?

IllusionEntity

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 3, 2010
Borough Green, Kent, UK
No it won't take any information off of the device. But it will be an extremely hard and dangerous procedure. My advice would be take it to Apple and see what they say. Maybe you'll get lucky and get a free replacement.. If not either do it yourself or the better option would be to take it to a repair shop. Good luck

You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Jul 21, 2011
New York, New York
No it won't take any information off of the device. But it will be an extremely hard and dangerous procedure. My advice would be take it to Apple and see what they say. Maybe you'll get lucky and get a free replacement.. If not either do it yourself or the better option would be to take it to a repair shop. Good luck

You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.
I'm an experienced electronics technician so those other guys can kiss my ass. My concern isn't about the software. The information will stay intact seeing as how i'm keeping the same logic board. My question is will the system reboot into DFU mode because of dis connectivity of the battery for an extended period or would just boot right up like nothing happened?

Dec 17, 2008
PA
I replaced the battery on an iPod touch(in sig) following directions on a you tube video and it kept it's JB.

It your battery is dead as a doornail it doesn't go into dfu mode. So I say your perfectly safe. If your not changing the SD(HD) should be fine.

As far as doing the work yourself it's not that big of a deal. If you've built a PC it's similar. I'm old and can't see so my kid unplugs and reconnects all the small parts.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iCafe app

Jul 21, 2011
New York, New York
I replaced the battery on an iPod touch(in sig) following directions on a you tube video and it kept it's JB.

It your battery is dead as a doornail it doesn't go into dfu mode. So I say your perfectly safe. If your not changing the SD(HD) should be fine.

As far as doing the work yourself it's not that big of a deal. If you've built a PC it's similar.

Thank you. yeah it's no biggie for me, more like a hobby.

Dec 17, 2008
PA
Yeah my battery came with the tools needed, as well as directions. I am guessing the parts you need will come with the same tools. Are you gonna get some white parts
:)

Jul 21, 2011
New York, New York
I have an electronic tool set that I got from radioshack. It came with everything you need to repair almost any small electronic, it even came with Torx attachments ranging from 7 to 10. I was going to convert my iPhone to white before the white iPhone officially came out, but now that i seen people with it and saw it in person, it looks kind of feminine. Not to mention that the majority of the people i seen with white iPhones were females lol. You can never go wrong with black and silver, it's just a gorgeous color combo.

Josh62685

Jul 22, 2011
I don't find that it's too hard. I got my phone wet and wanted to take it completely apart to dry it. I followed a video on you tube and did everything he did. Also followed him on putting it back together.

Syamil

Bronze
Jan 31, 2011
Singapore
Man, you guys are the definition of 'cool' yaw. Taking apart iPhones and doing it up your style.. I fear even dropping my phone and here you are taking them apart.. Kudos. You have my respect.

Josh62685

Jul 22, 2011
I find the 4 is easier to take apart than the 3g