Will GPS navigation for iPhone come out after SDK release?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

todesto

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
Hi, all :)

I find myself needing GPS navigation after switching to iPhone from PDA phone that had navigation software with GPS receiver. Thus, I am in the market for GPS navigation such as Garmin, TomTom or whatever....

however I just realized that Apple will release SDK for iPhone and was wondering if GPS navigation software (with GPS receiver bluetooth pairing) will come out. What is the chance of such software coming out after SDK release?

Should I wait until then rather than getting one right now or would that be foolish choice?
What do you think?

stoneskid

Jul 1, 2007
Well your guess is as good as anybody. I will venture to say that Apple will prob limit the use of the program to some type of monthly pay service (similar to agps on other phones). You know Apple, they have to make a buck everywhere 10 times over.

I still cant get over the fact that you have to buy the song, then pay again to use it as a ringtone. Who thinks this type of stuff up?

todesto

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
Looks like I need start looking hard for GPS navigation units. :cool:
Anybody know which one is really good with iPhone?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'm predicting bluetooth GPS support will come along with other bluetooth enhancements in a future upgrade. When, who knows.

Google maps already makes use of BT GPS on other phones, I think Apple was just a bit behind on their BT development when they released the iPhone (see stereo BT headset support... or lack thereof). Seeing as the iPhone has no built-in GPS hardware, it would seem that Apple would need to add BT support to keep the device viable in an ever-more-GPS-capable marketplace.

Again, my prediction is they will add BT GPS support and come out with their own BT GPS device that works seamlessly with the iPhone and Google Maps (i.e., a flat device that clips onto the back of the phone... iWorld or iGPS or something like that)

Regardless, my old BT GPS receiver remains mounted in my car, awaiting the day...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
We're talking about bluetooth GPS devices here. Little self-powered hockey-puck-lookin' things that pair via bluetooth to your phone and add GPS capabilities. I bought mine for $65 about a month before I got my iPhone and it worked flawlessly with Google Maps on my Window Mobile phone (Cingular 2125). Considering it would be a software upgrade, I'm hoping Apple adds this ability to the iPhone. I mean, I think it really has to.

iPimp

Bronze
Nov 12, 2007
I am confused,I use the google maps on my iPhone and it provides,numbers,websites and step by step directions the same as the mio cx310 I bought for my mom last year.

So what would be the difference / need for a separate GPS program / add on ?

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
I am confused,I use the google maps on my iPhone and it provides,numbers,websites and step by step directions the same as the mio cx310 I bought for my mom last year.

So what would be the difference / need for a separate GPS program / add on ?
I think what is wanted is a program to interface and use data returned from a GPS receiver. With such a program, the iPhone could do things like keep you on route regardless of where you are since it would know where you were. It could also tell you where things are around you like fuel, hotels, restaurants, etc... without you telling it where you were.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yeah that's basically the idea. When you have GPS with Google Maps, for example, your current position is shown by a blue dot and the screen follows you as you move. When you get off course you see it immediately, and can quickly "reroute from current position" without having to figure out where you are on the map.

It also gives GPS coordinates ... good for geocaching.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I wouldn't be surprised, but it may take a while.

Remember that while the iPhone does have GPS built into it, Navizon uses Wi-Fi and Cell Towers to locate you, so it's never 100% correct. If Apple were to release one, ti would most likely actually use GPS.