Will HSDPA be ready for the iPhone release?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

JJL

May 31, 2007
I'm a Treo 750 user on Cingular/AT&T, so I currently have access to UTMS. Data throughput is good enough to permit just-barely-watchable video (viewing video through Slingbox Mobile software). I understand that AT&T is upgrading its network to HSDPA, which I believe will operate about 3 times the speed of UTMS. Does anyone know if HSDPA will roll out by the iPhone launch date?

idjmeka

Jun 1, 2007
I'm a Treo 750 user on Cingular/AT&T, so I currently have access to UTMS. Data throughput is good enough to permit just-barely-watchable video (viewing video through Slingbox Mobile software). I understand that AT&T is upgrading its network to HSDPA, which I believe will operate about 3 times the speed of UTMS. Does anyone know if HSDPA will roll out by the iPhone launch date?
It should be available in a software upgrade (Rom) if not you might already have it and not know it cause AT&T/Cingular has already rolled out the HSDPA which is aka 3.5g. Also, from what I looked up HSDPA works with your current UTMS to up the speed. There should be tweaks available to make the speeds faster in a 3rd party program also. Hench 4g Cingular 8125, although I do own the phone I just don't want the risk of making my phone scraps.

Hope this helped.

May 31, 2007
As far as I know the phone only comes with EDGE... this is a different piece of hardware than a 3g phone has...so there will be no software upgrade...but you do have wifi so that sort of negates the need for 3g unless you're camping...

JJL

May 31, 2007
As far as I know the phone only comes with EDGE... this is a different piece of hardware than a 3g phone has...so there will be no software upgrade...but you do have wifi so that sort of negates the need for 3g unless you're camping...
I agree -- everything I've read indicates that the iPhone will be locked into EDGE, and not upgradeable to UTMS/HSDPA. For me, this is a limitation that may force me to wait for iPhone 2.0.